In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military Colt .45

hsmasshsmass Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt .45 that was given to me by a relative. I'm guessing he used it in either Korea or Vietnam. He was there for both...

It's stamped with "Property of US Government" and i'm wondering what I can do with it. Can it be sold?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you should give it to a different relative that would honor a family treasure.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it can be sold.
  • Options
    gunman100gunman100 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Charlie.....Why in the world would you want to sell such a gun ?!
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can it be sold? Yes

Should it be sold? No
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there another family member who may have a connection with the piece and the person that may want it? Check around before you sell.

If it means nothing to you, and there is no one within the family who wants it, I would disagree with those above who suggest that you keep it.

If it is a collectible pistol, a collector will take good care of it. If it is a shooter, a shooter will put it to use in the manner for which it was built. If you are neither, please sell it. If you think you may be in the future, however, hold onto it. Once you get rid of it, it is gone forever.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The Military did not give their pistols away. With that said many were sold to civilians through the DCM/CMP so it is not a problem for you to own or sell I Agree with Don McManus. I was going to post that it was not legal to own but that I was authorized on behalf of the U.S. Government . to accept it and no charges would be filed. [}:)]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you decide you want to do with it, it is in your best interest to know exactly what you have. It could be worth anywhere from $200 to several thousand dollars. If you want to post phots of it, we can probably help you figure it out.

Neal
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Cal. .45 M1911 pistols have been stricken from U.S. Government inventory.

They want nothing to do with it, nor have any interest in its disposition.

Handle it as you would any pure civillian firearm, without regard to prior ownership by the U.S. Government.

Best, Joe
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as Unk didn't file off the serial number to throw the Feds off the trail. Lots of those out there.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i will give you a hundered dollar target gift card for it!
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunman100
    I have to agree with Charlie.....Why in the world would you want to sell such a gun ?!

not everybody out there attaches sentimentality to a gun. many view guns as exactly what they are, in animate objects.

before sale, i would investigate whether or not a person who does attach such sentimentality to a gun and has a connection with it exists and what if anything they may be willing to offer up in trade for it.

if no deal can be struck, or no such person is found, have it appraised(informally at first and then formally if it is found to be of a type that is highly valuable) and then offer it for sale.the bottom line is know what you have before you try to sell it. it would be a shame to sell it for 800 bucks only to find out down the road that you had a rare gem that would have easily commanded a premium.

in that vain, selling it here with a national audience full of very well versed collectors will with a high degree of likelihood give you a fair market price. the market never lies. the only problem is if the seller and the market are too far apart on what they feel is the correct price.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Sell it to someone that appreciates it, family, stranger, whatever.
    No. 12 IBTL.[;)]