In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Richards Microfit Stocks

guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking of sporterizing an old military rifle. This company sells stocks that will fit. I can get a pretty good stock made of California Claro Walnut for $107.

Are these good stocks? This stock is supposedly 99 percent fit to the gun when shipped.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at their laminated stocks for my M70 WSSM.

I know they make what I want....I am just wondering if any one here has had any dealings with the company or have any of their stocks.

Any info will be helpful.

Quality?

Customer service?

Timeliness?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    guntech59,

I believe from what I have read, your barreled action will require bedding and pillars, after you get the stock. Which type of wood are you considering, what style stock, and what barreled action? The pillar's and action bedding are pretty straight forward.

Best

EDIT 1

I'm sure Mr.VanTassel will do a good job. I know a lot of the Northern NY folks really like his service. I want to add a bit of caution though, that you don't want to bed the barrel, especially if it is one of their light weight barrels.

Best
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    guntech59,

I'm not trying to put you off by any means but...

This topic has been covered several times by many of the members in detail. Use the search function in the upper right corner of each page to see what you can uncover.

This topic is very polarizing in that some really like the company and it's products while other absolutely detest them and their products.

The quality of the stocks can be spotty at times. So can the service. Timeliness is usually not a problem. Remember that these are still plywood no matter what opinion some folks like to utter. Plywood should be cheap no matter what color the layers are.

I've probably ordered a dozen stocks from them over the last couple of years with few if any problems that I haven't anticipated. The current owners/manufacturers don't make the effort to pay attention to the little details, depending more on cheap prices to sell their products. I have the ability to modify (fix or correct) the stocks if I need to, unlike most of the average folks so I don't worry too much.

If you really need an absolute drop-in fit with a good finish, I'd go with Stockys Stocks.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the replies.

I was planning on pillars and bedding and have already spoken to my gunsmith.

I am looking at the laminated "old classic #102" in either brown/brown or rosewood.

nononsense...admittedly I did not do a search.[:I] I come here everyday and have never seen anything on them before. I'll do more some research here before I make a final decision. Drop in is not a requirement, as Dennis will have some fitting and bedding work to do on it. I checked stockys before and did not see anything for the WSSMs. I should check again, huh?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    guntech59,

It never hurts to do another run through just in case they have something we missed or they make a 'special purchase' from another manufacturer. They rely on volume and end of run purchases for the lower prices so inventory changes fairly often. Being a WSSM the choices may be more limited nowadays.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense....I have rechecked all the usual suspects and even made a few phone calls. Hogue is the only other non-custom stock maker that makes stocks for WSSMs. I do wish I had more choices. I don't want synthetic so I will have to take my chances with the only option left....without paying big bucks for a custom. Apparently there is not enough demand for WSSM stocks for others to make them....what a surprise, huh?

tsr1965....I have used Van Tassel's before and been very happy with the service. Dennis and I have shot leagues together for a few years. This is the first stock work I have taken him though. I will be sure to discuss things in detail before the work begin.

Thank you both for your input.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you tried calling Donnie to see if he has a pattern?

Show-Me Gunstock Inc

19557 Quail Ridge Rd
    Warsaw, MO, 65355
    Tel: (660) 438-4568
  • Options
    edited November -1
    guntech59,

It's unfortunate that the options are so limited but...

If you order the stock made instead of from the 'bargain' list you stand a better chance of getting something that will serve you better. Be sure to do the order in writing instead of a phone order. Keep a copy for yourself. That way there can be no misunderstanding as to exactly what you're paying for.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good points...and thank you again for your time and input.