In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

12 Ga converter to .22, 9mm, .44 etc

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
There are some folks selling conversion inserts for changing 12 ga shot to misc pistol rounds.

Anyone had any experience with these?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one years ago that converted .38 special to 12 gauge. It worked OK, BUT, no accuracy. I figured you had to be inside 15/20? feet, to get consistent hits on a man sized target.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, for the length of 2 3/4" barrel. The range would be limited like a derringer. 15' sounds about right...
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Yes, for the length of 2 3/4" barrel. The range would be limited like a derringer. 15' sounds about right...

Its not the barrel length, its the total platform from which it is launched. I know of some Colt Python's, Diamond Back's, and a S&W 66, and 686 all with 2 1/2 inch barrels, that are extremely accurate.

As for the original question...I wouldn't even think of trying something like that. Although I know they do make 12 guage barrel inserts for 45-70.

Best
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can make them quite a bit longer. I have one laying around somewhere that I haven't used in decades that allows you to use .410 shells in either a 20 or 12 guage. (I forget which.) That may have made some sense when .410s were far cheaper than 12s but no longer.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I had one years ago that converted .38 special to 12 gauge.

Ouch!
    Sure it wasn't the other way around? [;)][:p]
    Now, if you really *could* convert a .38 special revolver to take 12 gauge shotgun shells, that might be something sort of interesting (though it would be against Federal law, and would probably break your wrist from recoil when shooting).

Back on the original question, my take on these conversion shells is that yeah, they'll let you fire a pistol round from your shotgun, but I just don't see much point in the exercise.

Not only are you going to have less accuracy than just firing the same round from a handgun, but because of the really short barrel, you're going to have less ENERGY too!

You're probably also going to have less capacity, unless you buy a whole bunch of the conversion shells and stuff your pump shotgun with them. You also probably won't have enough energy to cycle a semi-auto shotgun, so you lose that ability too.

Apart from sheer novelty value, pretty much the only good reason I can see for something like this is in a "survival" situation where access to weapons and/or ammo is really limited. In that kind of setting having a little more flexibility in terms of ammo choice with the weapon you do have might be helpful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is sort of a novelty thing...

Maybe good for laughs at the range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys,
    Barzilla, what are briley's...
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the inserts seen or have do not have rifling which supports the posts about poor accuracy. I need to pattern some shots with the 2 shotgun adapters I have. They do work well for snakes and rats at close range. Shooting a 410 out of a 12 gauge coach gun has virtually no felt recoil.