In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1957 Model 70

dick471dick471 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
First post on this forum. I have a Win Model 70 in 30.06 that I bought new in 1957 while in the army. It's a standard grade (paid $164.00) I have never fired the gun. I did have Maynard Buehler (friend of my dad) mount a 3x9 scope in 1963 and bore site it. My two sons have no interest in the gun. I would like to start shooting the gun and would like to know how much this would kill the value?

Comments

• Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it is in very good outside condition i would think it would kill alot if you still have all papers and box it came with. Main reason it would kill it is it is the old style
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dick471,

Hello, and welcome to the Forums here on Gunbroker.com.

We would need to see pictures to * the condition of your rifle, for a real accurate evaluation. First, a quick question though...did the rifle have to be drilled and tapped, or was it drilled and tapped for the scope mounts at the factory?

The reason I ask, is because if it had to be drilled and tapped, that dimenished the collector value. At any rate, if you are careful with it, and don't abuse it, I can see no otheer reason it would deteriorate in value.

Shoot it, and have fun wih it. It is kinda like jumping back into a pristine 57 Chevy. Have fun, and maintain it properly, and it will hold its value.

Best

EDIT 1

Like I said...it does not hurt to take that 55' to the store or out to dinner every now and again. Same goes for the rifle. You don't have the box or paper's, so even though it is unfired, it is missing some things. If I were you, I would show your buddy, what American pride and craftsmanship, in its heyday were all about. I'm not saying that your going to kick his butt, but then again..you will never know if you don't give it a spin...just like a good old street drag race.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tsr1965: The gun was pre-drilled for the mounts at the factory. The gun is mint condition and has always been stored in a gun safe. I have no idea what I ever did while the paperwork and the box. S/N 386295. I only plan to do a little target shooting with a friend who says his .308 is a better cartridge. Love your comment about '57 chevy. My wife drives a '55 BelAir everyday to work, and we have a '55 chevy Nomad & a '31 chevy 5 pass coupe for car shows. All of my guns are in mint condition or I would not keep them, including a Rem 32 O/U Skeet. In the past ten years I've sold about 50 guns on GunBroker.com and the only one that I am sore I sold was a Rem Model 12 .22 pump, octogen barrel in MINT condition. Still hve 42 guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cherry broken. Fired 10 rounds thru the gun at the range. KOWA 3x9 scope was right on at 200 yards. This thing kicks worst than my Ithaca 10ga mag.
  • Options
    cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dick are you in Contra Costa near Buehler?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cody45: No I live in Lake County now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cody45: At the time Maynard mounted scope I was visiting my dad in Pacifica and he took me over to Orinda where Buehler lived. Got to see his double barrel rifle collection. One two bore rifle fired a one pound cast bullet with a 6 inch brass cartridge.