In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thanks for the help - COLT picture added

ifish4u2ifish4u2 Member Posts: 9
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I was lurking here looking for help. I have a Colt SAA early smokeless version. It was my great grandfather's service revolver. The base pin was stuck and I found one of your threads with a link to the take down instructions and also instructions on skipping the base pin until you remove the hammer then tapping gently to push the pin out. Worked like a charm! You guys were right, just tight from frozen grease mixed with good old NM and OK dust. And I learned how to do a "take down" and was able to fully inspect this 100+ year old gem. The sear and bolt spring BOLT has part of the screw head broken off, but it still funtions ok holding the spring down. Found it for $8 on GB. The bolt itself is functioning ok but you can see excessive wear on one side of it, so much that one of the thin "pointy" ends is worn shorter than the other. Found a NOS piece on GB. Should I replace these two parts or just leave it as is and perhaps purchase the parts to go along (for safe keeping) with the revolver? I don't plan on shooting the old gun as there's a tiny gap between the cylinder and the barrel and don't want to loosen her up any more. I cleaned it up a little and used a very light coat of RIG (grease/lube product my father in law used to swear by). I sent off to colt for a letter and am hoping it comes back with indications that support the family history I have about the gun. GGF was a lawman and was killed in the line of duty in late 1920s. Again thanks for all the help you guys give out!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the parts now while you can get them. If they need fitting do that too. Save the origional parts. Today you choose not to shoot it, next month you may need to shoot it. My dad and grandfathers would want me to shoot their guns. That sound you hear when you thumb the hammer back, an angle gets their wings!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello The bolt two legs they will be different one will look worn and pointed. The hammer has a cam that rides on one leg of the bolt This allows the cylinder to turn when tip of bolt retracts from the cylinder lock slot and then when the hammer is cocked more the bolt slips off the hammer cam to relock the cylinder. When you slowly cock the hammer you should hear 4 different CLICK some people call this sound C O L T . If you post serial number we can give you a date when made. Your pistol should have the same serial number in 3 places.and then the loading gate will have a number that should match a number that you can't see on the frame until you remove the trigger guard.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Perry shooter. 234,xxx .... yes same numbers everywhere, I believe it was 1902 or 03. I looked it up once before. So it sounds like the bolt is typical and nothing to be concerned about? Buying an $8 sear and "BOLT" spring bolt, and skipping the $40 "BOLT" piece sounds good to me. Although of all the parts I saw in there, that BOLT piece looked like a weak link in the machinery. So buying one while it's available is probably smart.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a friend with another Colt. Compare your "worn" piece with his. I'll bet you'll find that what you are thinking is wear is just the design with different lengths. [:D] You may be able to save yourself an unnecessary expense.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a treasure. Glad you appreciate what you have and are treating it accordingly.
    Any chance we get to see some pictures?
    Happy New Year!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    RCrosby asked for pictures, enjoy. Pretty sweet huh?
    Frontier_sixMR.jpg
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice and its a family heirloom, sweet.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the pic. Imagine it looks much like my dad's SAA looked when he lost it back in '40's. Northern Maine.

Would be nice to think someone found it, but if not I shudder to think what it looks like today!