In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 ACP ammo

Valjean256Valjean256 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
I am considering purchasing Federal Hydra-Shok 230 rounds
for my new Smith & Wesson 1911. Do you agree with my selection
and are there other rounds I should consider. I rely on your
expertise.

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the Federal 230 Gr Hydra-Shok is a good choice from a performance standpoint, to especially include terminal effect, IF it feeds flawlessly in your pistol. I routinely carry one of three different 45's. One of them will not feed the Federal Hydra-Shok with total reliability, so I use a different cartridge/bullet for that one, with a more rounded nose profile rather than the truncated cone shape of the Hydra-Shok. In my opinion. you should try quite a few rounds, and from different magazines, to assure yourself of totally flawless feeding in your pistol before you trust your life to any cartridge and bullet selection.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clean and lube it, then run a few boxes of ammo to break it in (cheaper ammo would be ok for this) then clean and lube again to test the good ammo.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    all auto pistols should be tested with ammo to see what works and what won;t some auto loaders are finiky if not using ball ammo
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    my Springfield loaded 1911 and XD 45 both love the Remington Golden Sabre 230 and the 185 Hornady Critical Defense rounds.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    First we need to know what the intended use for both ammo and pistol . Defensive,Hunting,Target,Plinking

Edit For your intended use Your Choice is as good as it gets.
    IF your pistol functions with it. I would Practice
    with the cheapest 230 grain BALL ammo .Point of impact will be the same at distance you are interested in. Then get two boxes of The HYDRO Shock. Shoot 50 for function testing and IF 100% then use the other box for working use.
  • Options
    Valjean256Valjean256 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The main purpose is defense and of course practice for profisency.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We carried the HS for duty for years and never had a failure to stop in serious social work. If it runs RELIABLY in your pistol then it is as good a choice as you will find. The only comparable would be the Speer 200 grain +p.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    First we need to know what the intended use for both ammo and pistol . Defensive,Hunting,Target,Plinking

Edit For your intended use Your Choice is as good as it gets.
    IF your pistol functions with it. I would Practice
    with the cheapest 230 grain BALL ammo .Point of impact will be the same at distance you are interested in. Then get two boxes of The HYDRO Shock. Shoot 50 for function testing and IF 100% then use the other box for working use.

Good suggestions..only do it with Winchester Ranger SXTs 230 gr.