In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Trooper MK lll vs S&W 34

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
While working to save $550 to buy the LNIB model 34 at my local gun shop a Colt Trooper MK lll in 22lr caliber also LNIB has shown up there.
Both have a 4in. barrel.
The Smith barrel is not pinned as most 34s are.
The Smith comes with an extra set of nice rubber grips.
The Smith box is in better condition than the Colt box.
The price of the Colt is $650.
Both sellers are firm on their price.
Which gun would be the better buy as a collector piece?
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm partial to Smiths but the Model 34 as you describe it (not pinned so one of the later ones) is not all that hard to fine. In my opinion the Colt will have more appreciation potential if you're primarily looking for a collector piece. Best solution likely is to negotiate a little better price by buying both.

Edit 10/29/12: The rubber grips (Hogue?) are no big deal especially for something you're buying for collector value. Non-pinned barrel guns are less desirable by most S&W collectors than the earlier pinned guns. Is there a precise percentage of difference in value; no, but given two identical condition guns, the collectors I know will take the pinned one every time. Buy the Colt, Colt revolvers are much in demand and will likely continue to be. The MKIII isn't as much in demand as a Diamondback but with Diamondbacks in the $1000 plus range (with box and papers) I expect the MKIII in 22LR will continue to move towards that price. I collect Smiths, lots of Smiths, but will buy a Colt at a good price whenever I can. Also, make an offer to the owner; those "firm" consignment prices sometimes become a bit more flexible when there is a cash offer on the table. I've insisted that dealers contact the consigner before and to the dealer's surprise got $50+ off the "firm" price.
  • Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    22hipower...Although Ive seen many more pinned 34s than fixed,I believe a fixed barrel version may take away some value despite its rarity.
    Even with the Colts higher price,Im leaning towards it over the Smith.
    Double action Colts seem to be climbing in value.
    These are consignment guns with separate sellers.
    Maybe the store owner would take less on his end if I offered to buy both.
    I simply dont have the cash right now.
    Its a though choice.
    The 34 is nice + extra grips,better condition box,$100 less.
    How much if any does a fixed barrel lessen the value of the 34?
    I would appreciate hearing from S&W experts regarding pinned vs not pinned in this model.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go with the 34. I don't think there is much diference in value between a pinned and one not pinned.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Colt will increase in value way faster than the S&W!
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    colt

Ditto...Colt all day, every day for collector value.[:)]
  • Options
    itchy300itchy300 Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny I am weighing a Trooper MKIII vs a Model 66-2..both 6", both .357, same price...blued vs stainless
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 34 and a Mark 111. The Colt is a larger frame, and the Mark 111 series had some parts manufactured with a hard surface that cannot be altered. Probably the Colt will increase the most due to the lineage.

Shot my Trooper and my K22 side by side. The K22 is a gem, and has a more polished feel than the Colt.