In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Determining an unfired pistol PICS added

claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
One of the guns from my recent garage sale purchase is a S&W K-38 combat masterpiece. It is a 5 screw frame but lacks the original grips. Ser:# K156788. As with all the other guns it laid unattended in this basement for many years and has light surface freckling.
However, short of a light turn ring (which does not indicate firing), I see no indication this gun was ever fired. If I were to hand you this gun at a gun show and told you it was unfired, what would you look for to validate, or discredit my claim?

[img][/img]SWK-38003_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]SWK-38004_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]SWK-38007_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]SWK-38008_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]SWK-38009_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]SWK-38010_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]SWK-38011_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]SWK-38012_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]SWK-38013_1024x768.jpg
[imgSWK-38015_1024x768.jpg][/img]
[img][/img]SWK-38016_1024x768.jpg
[img][/img]SWK-38017_1024x768.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All guns have been fired, proof and function testing means the gun has been fired at the factory.

Since you bought it used you have no way of knowing for sure that it has not been fired or how much it has been shot. Telling someone differently is "seller embellishment", "buyer beware".

I have a S&W 29 Classic that has been fired hundreds of times. If I clean it to show room standards you can't really tell it has been shot.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look at the cylinder face.
    In the Good Old Days S&W was known for test firing every other chamber. So you should see light burn marks around half of the chambers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clays
    One of the guns from my recent garage sale purchase is a S&W K-38 combat masterpiece. It is a 5 screw frame but lacks the original grips. Ser:# K156788. As with all the other guns it laid unattended in this basement for many years and has light surface freckling.
    However, short of a light turn ring (which does not indicate firing), I see no indication this gun was ever fired. If I were to hand you this gun at a gun show and told you it was unfired, what would you look for to validate, or discredit my claim?

I am aware that all firearms are "test fired", but when purchasing a new firearm it is very difficult to determine this firing. Yes, I bought it used and from my inspection it does not appear to have been fired, other than "factory testing". Most everyone is aware of the initial test fire. I would never try to represent a gun as "never fired". I was not attempting to embellish anything, just wanting to know what you would look for in a "Owner unfired gun". I have never seen a revolver that was fired hundreds of times that I could not determine it had been fired.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    With what you are telling us...the pistol had replaced grips and "light surface freckling" and the question is...would I believe the guy? In a word...no. I would carefully check the cylinder face to see if powder was there but I know folks (not me) who are religious in their cleaning of their weapons and their guns fired many times look, in a word, new. But with replaced grips and freckling...no.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the current condition of the gun, with light freckling, and non-original grips, the unfired part is totally inconsequental. A gun, theoretically, can be fired, and still be 100% condition, even if not NIB.

Best

EDIT 1

From your pictures, it appears to be in much better condition than you described. If you could find the correct diamond grips for it, it could easily fetch $600.00-700.00, if it is all original, and not refinished.

Best

EDIT 2

quote:I won't comment on the "unfired" question. But if you are going to present this revolver for sale, you don't want to embarass yourself by calling it a K-38 or a "target" revolver. It is a Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.

I am not sure about your assessment, but I have never seen a 5 screw Model 15. I have seen a 5 screw Combat Masterpiece.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    In the current condition of the gun, with light freckling, and non-original grips, the unfired part is totally inconsequental. A gun, theoretically, can be fired, and still be 100% condition, even if not NIB.

Best

It is by no means a high condition gun. I will post some pics and maybe you guys can help with a fair evaluation of it's condition. I mainly was just surprized to find an old target gun that appears to have not been used.
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless it is some odd collectible firearm the question of if it has been fired is not real important to me. Others may disagree.

It is not new because it has been sold. No way to tell if it has been fired by just the factory or by the owner.

Condition is the only indicator I go on when looking at guns. Pictures are a good way to get an idea. Looking at the gun is the only for sure way.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as revolvers are concerned. Any indication of a turn line on the cylinder. Any residue or abrasion on the breech face. The front face of the cylinder also should clean, and abrasion free.

Not referring to this specific revolver. But if I ran across a S & W with replacement target grips. I would have serious doubts about it being unfired.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't comment on the "unfired" question. But if you are going to present this revolver for sale, you don't want to embarass yourself by calling it a K-38 or a "target" revolver. It is a Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    I won't comment on the "unfired" question. But if you are going to present this revolver for sale, you don't want to embarass yourself by calling it a K-38 or a "target" revolver. It is a Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.

If anyone is going to embarass themselves, I think you just did with your statement. That is why this forum is "Ask the Experts"

No problem, just wanted you to know they did not make a Model 15 with 5 screws.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK Clays, maybe embarass wasn't the best word to use. So, for that I apologize. [B)]

The Combat Masterpiece was introduced in 1949 and I thought they were 5-screw at that time. Of course, they probably weren't called Model 15 at that time. But, despite the forum title, I am no expert.

Ray