In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 GARAND EXPERTS

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=313585256

Ok need help boys what have I got and what SHOULD it sell for ? ..This is for an estate of a deceased veteran.. I have no papers on this as of now..
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Starting price is wayyyyyy too high, it should start at $500 and bring in the 600-700 range. It is a nice M1 but nothing rare or special about it, it has been rebarreled but unless you have the guages it will be hard to tell how much wear is on the barrel.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I replied to your e-mail and basically told you the same thing as countryfarmer...You are not in a realistic price range.
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stock is a CMP replacement. That's not necessarily a negative, as they're nice wood replacement stocks.

The barrel is a replacement dated 6/64. I suspect there will be markings on a receiver leg indicating arsenal rebuild.

The receiver was manufactured in March of 1945.

I would suspect you have a CMP sold Service Grade. They currently go for $649.95 including shipping at CMP.

IMHO, your starting price is way too high as has been indicated earlier. IMHO, these are $800 - $1000 rifles to those who either don't know about the CMP, don't qualify or won't buy sight unseen.

BTW - if I were selling this rifle, I would include pictures of the bolt markings, trigger group (especially the markings on the housing) and the muzzle to show a clean crown. Bore pictures would be helpful also. I would also like to see pictures of the markings on the op rod and a picture showing of the rod is uncut or relief cut.

Good luck. [:)]

Edited to fix spelling and add op rod pic suggestion
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I agree with CD on this. The 6/64 barrel is saying it was rebuilt at sometime past.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    $2500 not going to be the price I just threw a number down until I find out what we have..Thanks for the replies..
  • Options
    AJ100AJ100 Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just sold one of my SA 2007 Service grades with a NICE CMP walnut replacement set for $850.00 MW and TE were both around 1.75 to 2

'55 receiver,'65 barrel, '66 LEAD rebuild.

Your rifle, to a non CMP member, should bring about the same. The guy paid a little more for the LEAD.

AJ100(Tom Vogt)
  • Options
    edited November -1