In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mossberg 590 sight options/opinions?

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased the above referenced shotgun. From the factory box, it has no rear sight and a simple bead front. I am looking for a practical replacement for the factory set up.

I have looked at the Mossberg ghost ring sight kit, as well as the aftermarket "reflex" reticle sights with the rail mount. Does anyone have any suggestions which would be a better choice? Any pros or cons for either set up? Is there an option I am missing?

Also, the ghost ring set-up appears to indicate it requires gunsmithing to properly mount it...is that correct? and if so, for which part/s? Any ideas what that install should cost?

Thanks for any input.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you mean to be using for a self defense/tactical shotgun, get a short barrel with ramp type front sight. Mossberg barrels are made to be interchangeable. Some of the barrels are specifically made for firing slugs, and have a rear sight already mounted on the barrel forward of the receiver.

Other then the above, you have many other options. These shotguns are very popular with the various "preppers", and have a lot of aftermarket accessories available. I wouldn't go overboard though. A smooth bored open sight shotgun has only about 25 yards effective range with buckshot, and 100 with slugs. If you figure you need more range then that get a AR.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The 590 is drilled and tapped for a scope mount so any sort of optic is very easy to mount as well as being as inexpensive as you wish to make it.

But the big question is "How are you planning on using it?" The answer to that will play in how the shotgun should be outfitted.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I got a 590 when they first were out. I put a Trijicon front night sight and found a Williams rear that fit just in front of the safety to fit the curve of the reciever. They work very good as goast ring with the appature out and with slugs with it in.
    If yours is drilled and tapped, look at the XS Sight systems for it [;)]