In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auto Ordnance manufacturer

papajimpapajim Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I read about the different manufacturers of the 1911 pistols. How do you determine who made what?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    All military 1911 and 1911A1 have a serial number on the frame every Maker had a ASSIGNED block of numbers THUS the serial will determine the maker of frame and the slide will have a maker name so you may find a military pistol with a mismatched slide and frame . On top of this just about every military pistol was rebuilt more then once could have replaced Grips Barrels and small parts they even made replacement Slides THE civilian clone 1911 & 1911A! type guns did not appear until the 1970's. Today many different makers. Sort of like the AR type rifles, AUTO ORDNANCE has built many fire-arms Quality is poor on first 1911 but then they bought out another company that was making clones and quality went UP. still not a Colt or other high end clone.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally but not always the manufacturers name will be on the receiver. Some pistols made under contract such as the modern Springfield Armory guns are an exception. I bought a new SA 45 back in the 80's that I believe that was made for them by a subcontractor here in the States. But have never been able to find out who it was?

Years ago at one of the SHOT Shows I asked the rep from SA point blank, "Who makes these pistols for you guys"? All that he would say was that they were made in the USA.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    auto ord is owned by kahr arms they make the 1911a1,Micarbine,semi thompsons
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Auto Ordnance was part of Numrich Arms.
    They had a metalworking, manufacturing facility at West Hurley NY.
    At one time you could ask for a part and the clerk would bring out a bin
    from which you could choose the best one.
    I've exchanged parts for a LoWall there.
    They also has a large warehouse with complete, semi finished and I expect manufacturing rejected parts and discontinued single action parts from failed companies.I also bought new and semifinished barrels from them.
    A nearby subcontractor made Luger barrels for them.
    Another product they bought out and manufactured was an underhammer percussion in 32 & 45 in rifle and pistol versions.
    They shot very well.
    This was before Numrich died.