In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 12 winchester value

searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Model 12 Winchester, 12 ga, 30" plain bbl, wood and metal are 90%. barrel is bright and shiney, no blemishes. Made in 1955. Looking for an insurance value for a friend. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is of similar condition. I listed it for $400 on My Insurance Policy. I'm also interested in what others have to say about value.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold one similar last year that was slightly older. It was in nearly excellent condition. Only could get $350 out of it. Full choke had been opened up for steel shot, and butt had been shortened for a pad. Killed it's collectors value. Even if the one your inquiring about is original, at 90% I don't see it being worth more then $450.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    rufe snow is about right, there where alot of plain jane models 12s built, especialy in 12 gauge. If it where a Heavy Duck or Trap Grade in the condition you describe, the price would almost triple.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys. I asked, because I really thought it was worth more, but wasn't seeing it on the auction side. He isn't selling it, so it really don't matter, but he did want a value on it. Again, thanks.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Insurance value should be higher than recent auctions.

You are looking for the price it would take to walk into a store and buy the replacement.

Not what it would cost if you participated in several auctions to get the best price.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    Insurance value should be higher than recent auctions.

You are looking for the price it would take to walk into a store and buy the replacement.

Not what it would cost if you participated in several auctions to get the best price.

Yeah, I told him he'd best insure it for $750. I figure that should cover it.
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would depend on his policy. Most policies charge premiums based on the dollar value of the insured items, so if you unnecessarily inflate the value you're paying a lot higher premium. You want to strike a happy medium where you can replace the item if lost/stolen but not pay more in premiums than it's worth. Just my $.02.
    yooper