In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Standard Pistol

gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I bought a Ruger pistol Standard model grip assembly in hope that it would fit a Mk 1 upper.
It does not ,any experience with this issue? Can it be modified to f it? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure that the upper is a Mark 1? The first handgun I owned was a Mark 1. The only difference between the Mark 1's and the standard models was that the Mark 1's had adjustable sights and different barrel configurations.

Sometimes their is a interference fit between the two components. I Would completely strip all parts from the upper and lower. Put the upper on the lower and tap the front of the barrel to the rear with a plastic hammer. Do this a number of times. After you get it so the upper and lower are assembled correctly, install the subassemblies back into the upper and lower.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gnprts
    I bought a Ruger pistol Standard model grip assembly in hope that it would fit a Mk 1 upper.
    It does not ,any experience with this issue? Can it be modified to f it? Thanks

You say "Standard" model grip assembly; is that a Mark 3 grip frame? Or a very early (before Ruger was calling it "Mark I") grip frame? Both the very early Mark 1s (Ruger refers to all pre-Mark 2 pistols as "Mark 1s") and the current production "base" model Mark III can be referred to as the "Standard" model.

There are variations between the Mark I and II and (current production) Mark III grip frames, but generally they are all "the same." The variations will require fitting if you try to start swapping parts. So if you are trying to fit either a very early "Standard" grip frame, or a current production Mark III grip frame, onto a Mark I barrel-receiver, it is something that can be done.

If you're not familiar with the function of all the parts, or are not sure what/where to modify to make the parts work together, I'd recommend having a gunsmith do the work, but then you might be looking at total costs that start getting higher. You have to watch the amount you spend on a Mark I as decent used Mark-series pistols can be found relatively inexpensively.

You also have to be aware of safety issues/changes that happen -- particularly if you modify bolts to fit/work across the Mark-series models. If you're good with mechanical things, doing the modifications across the Mark-series can be fun, but, as I already mention, it's normally just a "hobby" thing as it's not cost effective considering the price of complete pistols.