In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

JP Sauer Double Barrel Shotgun

KudLigKudLig Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a JP Sauer double barrel shotgun and would like to find out the year, model, and value for this item. It has Crown U proof marks which I believe makes it pre-1939. Also has a Nitro Stamp which puts it after 1912. The serial number is 213303. It is a 12 gauge side by side, original stock with a modified and a full choke barrel with cocking indicators and auto ejectors. It has engravings on the barrels with "The Wild Man with a Club" underneath. Does anyone have any information? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need quality close up photos of the shotgun, specially all the German proof marks. After W W I their proof laws were changed. One of the changes was adding the requirement for a date of proof. This was in the format numbers separated by a period. This gave the month and year of proof.

EDIT #1, Instructions for posting photos, at this link.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

EDIT #2, Quality old shotgun! The barrel with the Crown W proof has a choke. "Circle around number 12, was used to designate gauge after 1911. Don't know enough to price it? But if the bore is excellent, could be quite valuable? Specially back in the fatherland. Lot of the old vintage guns were brought back to the States as souvenirs by GI's after the war in 45. The krauts were forced to turn in all their firearms, and the GI's, got hold of a lot of good ones.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have pictures but don't know how to post them
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't assign a model designation, age, or value, but will say that the top extension, Greener crossbolt, and cocking indicators are marks of a higher grade gun than the ordinary model 60 made for sale to gullible colonials.