In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser with star of David stamped on stock

airbornerizzairbornerizz Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Just wondering how old something like that would be, country of origin, and what country used it... I'm assuming Israel....

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    a lot of mausers (and others) made their way to Israel after ww2. there should be some other markings on the receiver to identify the maker and date.
  • Options
    airbornerizzairbornerizz Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The other stamp had a 5 pointed star, and I think lions. Didn't see a date. Store owner said it was a Chilean Mauser. He was asking 650. I was just curious, trying to further my knowledge of guns
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going through "Mauser Military Rifles of the World", by Robert Ball. Found a rifle with six pointed star on the stock and a five pointed star on the receiver. It's a Brazilian Model 1908.

A lot of the Brazilian rifles were imported and sold as surplus, years ago. Many were in "rough" condition, from years of use and abuse. Likely because of this the markings would faint and hard to decypher.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    During the creation of the nationstate of Israel the forerunnier of the IDF (Israel Defense Force) bought on the open market lots of weapons from WWII to fight the Arabs in the 1948 war. Many of those rifles were Mausers from all over the world, including many from Germany and Czech (perhaps the Lion you mention?). Many were rechambered after the '48 war from 8mm to 7.62 so one must be careful.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look like this?

israeli-crest.jpg

That's the symbol of the Israeli Defense Forces, taken off of a converted Nazi Mauser rifle.

Every one of these I've ever seen has 7.62 stamped on the receiver to indicate that its been converted to 7.62x51. I've seen some with this number on the stock. Never seen one with a Star of David on the stock, though its certainly possible.

The Brazillian Mauser proofmark looks like this, and my guess is that's what you have:

DSC01442-01.jpg

DSC01440-01.jpg

DSC01462-01.jpg