In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best holster for CC

sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm new to CC. I'll be carrying a 2-inch Colt Cobra .38. Aluminum frame. Thinking I'd like to carry it in the small of my back under a shirt/jacket. Can anyone share their experiences about the kind of holster I should look for considering comfort and practicality or
suggest a better carry idea? I'll only carry on rare occasions. Won't be a full-time thing. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I tried a SOB for a couple of days. Found it very uncomfortable sitting. And this was with a auto. A revolver would be worse as it is thicker. For my S&W 640 I use a good belt holster just behind my hip bone. But that's where I wear one when shooting matches. A IWB goes there when carring my Kahr P-9 or P-45. For everyday a Kel-Tec P3AT goes in my right rear pocket in a pocket holster.
    If you are like most shooters, you will try a few different holsters before finding one you like best [;)]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    socks,

Other folks might argue, but SOB carry, is taking a risk, especially with light clothes. If your gun prints, folks will have an advantage from behind.

I don't care for in the waist band holsters either, which leaves with a couple types. Ankle, shoulder, or hip/belt. I also shy away from paddle holster's.

This is one of my favorites...yes it is expensive, but it is the best for me.
    http://shop.alessigunholsters.com/Items/cqc-s colt?&caSKU=cqc-s colt&caTitle=Alessi Holsters CQC-S Holster for Colt Guns

Best
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've tried a bunch of different holsters over the years for CC. Always go back to a strong side pocket holster. For one of the smaller autos. Carried a Keltec P 11 for years, until I transitioned to a Glock 27 in 2010.

Revolvers are thicker in width that makes them more difficult to conceal, and more uncomfortable to carry IWB.

Unless you can carry concealed with a external belt holster, go with a pocket holster. There are so many small light 9mm autos made nowadays by mutiple manufacturers, you won't have any problem finding one and a holster at a descent price. Leave the Colt on your nightstand.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by socks
    I'm new to CC. I'll be carrying a 2-inch Colt Cobra .38. Aluminum frame. Thinking I'd like to carry it in the small of my back under a shirt/jacket. Can anyone share their experiences about the kind of holster I should look for considering comfort and practicality or
    suggest a better carry idea? I'll only carry on rare occasions. Won't be a full-time thing. Thanks!

Some good advice already given.

Small of back holster doesn't work well for many who like to sit down. Most people who carry concealed at the belt line prefer a conventional holster (either inside the waistband or outside) located behind the right handed hipbone (or left for lefties).

On the other hand, I know a police constable who loves to carry that way. . .why? He just happens to have a pronounced arch in his lower back, and this particular carry method works for his anatomy.

From experience, a pocket holster is a good way to carry a small light snubnose revolver under most circumstances. Draw is potentially slower than some methods, and it can be virtually impossible to draw while sitting, so consider that (ie this is a BAD way to carry if you need protection while driving a car).

What I will say on this in GENERAL, is that how you carry a concealed weapon is HIGHLY idiosyncratic.

It depends on your exact anatomy (which varies from person to person), your handedness, what gun you are carrying, your ability to reach different parts of your body, and what you tend to do during the day (standing, sitting, outdoors, indoors), etc.

It can depend on the weather. . .one type of holster (and/or gun) for when you're wearing winter clothes, one for summer.

Most people who try carrying concealed end up trying different holsters and/or carrying styles to find out what works for THEM. Unfortunately, while there are varying suggestions out there, ultimately, I don't think there is any substitute for just trying different things and figuring out what works for YOU in your day to day activities.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I tried the back carry with some of my CC weapons but didn't like it as I spend a lot of time sitting down and OUCH! So, I like cross carry (I am right handed so carry on left in crossdraw) for my 2" Smith (66) and the little Taurus Titanium .38 I CC most of the time. Also like the * for shoulder carry which is the most comfortable. Don't like the pocket carry as I find it too slow to pull out and the outline shows on my pants. But in the winter I really like the should carry the most with the weapon on the left and spare ammo balanced on the right. Shoulder carry is also good for heavier carry like my 1911A1 bb I carry some of the time or my Glock 36. Anyway, I would give several a try...good luck[:)]
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Buying a holster is like buying a pair of shoes, what works for me might not be the best for you. And just like a pair of shoes you will only know what works best for you by trying on a few.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite is a Blackhawk Askins holster over hip pocket. Brown or black to coordinate with your other fashion accessories.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    For about 8 months of the year I carry my officers size 1911 in a Galco shoulder holster mostly, sometimes a Galco paddle belt holster.
    The shoulder rig is like a *, the pistol is horizonal, real easy to reach when sitting. It works well for me.
    W.D.
  • Options
    sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys are the BEST! I love this forum. I appreciate all your opinions and will remember them when I actually get ready to lay
    out the dough for a holster. Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say try a few out in the store beofe you buy, and see what seems comfy for you. (Remember, 5 minutes in the store is not like 6 hours on a hot summer's day, if it bugs you after 5 minutes imagine hours later as you're sweating walking across the mall parking lot)

Because I suggest carrying the gun in the same position at all times for familiarity, I prefer a strong-side IWB holster that I carry either at my right hip or just in front of it. (This is to me more comfy because I use a thin auto, a revolver might not for you). My carry guns ride in thin leather Bianchi IWB holsters, I found them to be thinner than anything synthetic (Even kydex) and more comfy. They're thin enough to conceal even with a t-shirt.

Good luck with your quest!