In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garand Serial # photos

otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Here are the photos of the numbers on the interior parts of my H&R Garand. The main number on the reciever is 57269XX. All these parts have similar 7 digit numbers and are almost consecutive. I would also be curious about the A4 2-65 written on the receiver with an electric pencil.

Thanks
IMG_005510.JPG
IMG_008215.JPG
IMG_00788.JPG
IMG_007312.JPG

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Mark explained the number on top of the receiver is the serial number. The number on the side of the receiver is the drawing number; the numbers on the other parts are also drawing numbers.

By drawing number, we mean the mechanical drawing for each part; you might call it the "blueprint". It shows a part & all measurements, holes, & cuts.

The electropencil marks on the side of the receiver are the arsenal rebuild mark. I don't which arsenal used "A4", but 2-65 means "February 1965". While some rebuild programs had rifles stripped to the bare receiver & all new & used parts were used for reassembly, sometimes a single rifle was taken apart, rebuilt with new parts only where needed.

The original stock for your rifle probably had a small square on the left side with an eagle & 3 stars, called a DAS "Defense Acceptance Seal", & a proof P on the pistol grip.

Neal