In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tone59-- best home defense weapon?

45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
As you can see from your post, answers are all over the place. So let's start with the basics...

The following may or not have been addressed, but I did not read every contributor word for word. Also, you have not stated if your friend has any experience with firearms?

So here is this to consider:

I have personally seen, time after time, people get gun-shy, literally, and quit having anything to do with fireams. The cause is always starting off a new-bee with Too Much Gun.

When I taught basic pistol and after the required "classroom" instruction, at the range I started the brand new student off using a Ruger Single-six in .22-LR. Some of us born into a shooting family forget to realize that firearms can be very intimidating to many others, yet this type of handgun got them comfortable easy enough-- simple & safe. (A .22-bolt action rifle proved the same good results). Then went up to a medium frame .38-Special double-action revolver with light loads, then semi-autos, etc.

You get the idea. Work em' slow, don't scare 'em off, and practice, practice, practice, until gun handling becomes second nature is best advice I can give.
Figure, if they're already unfamiliar and nervous about even touching a firearm to begin with, no matter which weapon is "best" to have as you put it, think what happens under duress of a life saving situation? I don't want to think about it, myself.

PS Many ranges have rentals of various types firearms, and instructors, if not aware?

45er

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll agree, "TOO MUCH GUN". But, I'll add "NOT ENOUGH FUN".

Of course choosing a home defense weapon is serious. But, to attempt to bring new people on to shooting, without making the practices fun, is to make them not like shooting. In order to get good with any firearm you need to practice, practice practice as you said. You also need to enjoy it or the 'job' becomes tedious. This is where competitions come in, trips to the wide open, if you can, and other 'shooting' disciplines help break the monotony of the issue at hand, and that is to stop the threat before it stops you.

Different shooting games, a beer or two afterward, and of course 'cool gun' shopping all make for more interest in shooting. General interest in shooting keeps people in the mood for it. Especially new people.

Edit:
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Dog.

Okay, you got me there. What does it mean????
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1