In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

garage heater

slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have been heating my garage since I built the house in 1980 with an antique pot belly wood stove. My insurance company was out a while back and took routine pictures of my place and noticed my chimney for my woodburner. I was advised today by my agent that if I had a wood burner in my garage I would have to remove it or my policy would be canceled after 30+ years with Pekin. Garage is about 800 square feet and attached to house and super insulated with new insualted doors. Been using small 1500 watt pedistal space heater since I added the new doors and it is adequate in mild weather. 40's and above outside. Any suggesgtions for something that will not eat me alive cost wise when it gets colder? I have provision for a propane gas furnace if need be but I think it would be over kill.

Comments

• Options
    merrbarbmerrbarb Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello: Apparently the insurance company did not like the chimney install. But did they actually tell you why they are canceling. Is it because 1) the presence of both a non-EPA regulated wood burning device AND due to a non-code (NFPA 211) chimney install, or 2) because they do not want any type of wood burning device ?

The EPA came out with regs for wood burning stoves in the mid 1980s after the 1970s boom in wood burning stoves, causing a host of new stove companies to fold due to such regulations (insurance company requirements and lawsuits). Your antique stove wood does not meet the requirements. Also the penetrations (wall, ceiling, attic, roof) for the chimney and clearances for stove and chimney have to meet NFPA standards for ALL building heating appliances including propane/gas, if you go that route.

Good luck.

Merrill
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    If you have the propane access I would go with a vent free heater. You could go either the blue flame or infrared route depending on mounting location.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    wood burner + fumes in garage = bang...look into heater hanging from ceiling (gas or propane)
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the exact same thing happened to me! I reluctantly removed the wood furnace, instead of finding a new company, and bought a 45000 BTU propane Big Max. I should have done it years ago. It is great, and I bought the vented one. You can put your hand on the vent pipe it is so cool. Id highly reccommend it.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My insurance company (Farm Bureau) refuses to insure a wood stove in an "unoccupied structure" (e.g., a garage or other shed), and adds something like a 12 percent surcharge for a woodburner even in a house. I said to heck with it and sold my stove. Sad, because I have a good wood supply.[:(]
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use one of the oil filled electric heaters in my garage. They are cheap, safe, and has 3 different heat levels as well as a thermostat. I have a window mounted heat pump that I use when it is over 45 degrees and for cooling in the summer time.
  • Options
    Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The National Fuel Gas Code which has been adopted by most if not all states requires all gas heaters used for residential purposes to be vented.In Wisconsin there are only a couple exceptions for specific agricultural purposes. The code also specifies that a gas heater in a garage must be raised a certain distsnce above the floor.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The insurance company's problem is with the wood stove in the garage. No problem with it in the house. Nothing said about the way it is installed. I have not got detailed explanation as to why a stove on a concrete floor is a problem. I am thinking it has to do with having a car with a tank full of gas there but a gas furace or heater would present the same problem in the event of a gas leak from the car. Not sure if propane or electric would be cheaper to operate. I am thinking propane.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Propane around here is 1/3 more than electric. The good part is works without the power company.