In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Benelli M1 Super 90 - sabot slugs?

Rugar007Rugar007 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I own a Benelli M1 field gun (12 gauge) and hunt deer in Iowa. I was shooting Winchester 400 grain 2 3/4 inches sabot slugs, but now Winchester no longer produces these sabot slugs. I just bought some Winchester 385 grain 2 3/4 inches partition gold sabot slugs. I sighted in my gun this weekend and I had an issue with my gun loading a shell after ejecting a shell. According to tech services at Benelli I should be using a heavier slug (1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce slug). Anybody else had any issues with shooting lighter sabot slugs with a Benelli M1 Super 90 field gun?
I'm thinking about buying some 12 Gauge Remington Premier Copper Solid Sabot Slugs 2-3/4" 1 Ounce. Any opinions about these slugs?
Or should I try some other 1 ounce sabot slugs?

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't help on the Benelli. However we've had very good results with the copper solid sabot slugs, accurate with good terminal performance.

Several years ago I did encounter one bad run of the copper solids, the sabots were defective. I still have some of them, I guess I should contact remington.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M1 Super 90 is a pure recoil operation and the weight of the projectile charge can affect the operation of the weapon. Try to find a 1 ounce slug of the BRI pattern (the hour-glass shaped ones) either in lead alloy or pure copper. The ones I have used in the past have been very accurate and reliable with these.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always good try some before stock up. I run home cast Lyman 540 gr sabot slugs in my smooth bore 870. Very pleased with them. At like $3 a pop for them hi tech rounds I would be shooting much.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some LightField slugs and you'll wonder why you haven't been shooting them all along.[;)]
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Benelli guns will NOT reliably work with light loads; be they trap, buckshot or slugs. The mechanism needs recoil to work, light loads will not cycle it consistently. To ensure they work, they need to be full house loads. You'll need to find a load that is similar to the one you had before, as the new load doesn't seem to have the oomph to make it cycle.

I watched several guys shooting Benelli's at a Rangemaster/Instructor school a few years ago go nuts trying to keep their Benelli's running because their agency went to low recoil buckshot and slug loads without trying them out first. They almost failed the course, and had I been the head instructor they would have.

The 870 shooters (of course) had no issues, neither did an 11-87 shooter (gas-operated gun).
  • Options
    pre6422hornetpre6422hornet Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rugar,

I have the exact same gun, M190 with the Benelli 24 inch rifled barrel, since I bought it new in 2002. I also use the Winchester Partition Gold 2 3/4 385 grain with excellent results on Ohio Whitetails. I have had zero ejection problems with any slugs I have shot down the barrel. A 15 grain difference in projectile should not determine whether or not a Benelli ejects properly..

an oz = 430 grains.
  • Options
    Rugar007Rugar007 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A difference of 52.5 grains. 1 ounce = 437.5 grains
  • Options
    pre6422hornetpre6422hornet Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I was referencing your original post stating you didn't have any issues with the 400 grain slugs, but the 385's didn't. 400-385=15.

Did you try a different box by chance from a different lot #?