In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Drilling a hole in tempered glass.

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Okay fellas who can tell me about drilling a hole in tempered glass?

I have done many on "regular" glass and my bits are good but I have all sorts of ideas as to what may happen when I run that bit into hard glass.

Any ideas will be considered, if nothing else I will tape off both sides of the glass and give it a try and let you all know how it worked out. [8D]
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Keep a broom and dust pan handy, I don't think it can be done
    Drilling into tempered glass requires special diamond drill bits in order to cut through the dense glass. The procedure can be long depending on the thickness of the glass, and the drill bit needs constant lubrication in order to make it through the glass. Certain glass and drill bits require different drill speeds in the drilling technique.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe copper tubing, valve grinding compound and some oil/grease. Good luck. Nanopulsed laser.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,157 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Diamond impreg. bit with lots of dish soapy water as lube. Whatcha making?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tubular diamond bit in a tripod mount glass drill. Make a surround of silicone caulk and use turpentine for lub/coolant. You are better off to have a glass shop do it.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Diamond impreg. bit with lots of dish soapy water as lube. Whatcha making?

Glass display case and I need power in it for a light. So a 1/4 in hole will be made .... I have extra glass so if one pops its not a real probpme.

I may go with a low pressure cup size sand blaster and use a blast abrasive called "Star Blast" I have used it before on a lot of glass just not hard.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I purchased a glass drill bit awhile ago for a project I was working on. These don't work on tempered glass?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    I purchased a glass drill bit awhile ago for a project I was working on. These don't work on tempered glass?

Well, it *might* work, if you're VERY lucky, but probably not, and personally, I think the chance of failure is so high, you're probably better off not trying it.

The issue is that tempered glass is sort of "pre-stressed" by the process used to make it. If you introduce any sort of crack or additional stress into the glass, the entire sheet will shatter into small pieces. Its actually quite dramatic.

Its actually so hard to drill tempered glass that typically applications that require holes in it have the holes drilled before the glass sheet is tempered!
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No way to run the power up the inside corners?

Think about using the clear coated lamp wire. You can run one wire up each corner if you are that tight for space.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    one well place rifle shot will do it..
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any large reptile/fish type pet stores in the area? Drilling tanks is done fairly regularly, they may be able to either do it for you or recommend someone who can.