In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R 999

magnum56magnum56 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Interested in learning approx. date of manufacture Model 999 serial # HK007397

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have an H&R model 999, that is engraved, in a wooden presenation box, 1 of 999 on the gun. Also has a medallion in box that reads Awarded by United States Centennial Commission. International exhibition. Any idea on value of this set up. Has not been fired and is new in box with all papers. Thanks[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A nephew stopped by to show me the Sportsman he bought. It would only index single action. However, if the gun is fully opened up (top break) and closed, it will index double action for 1 to 3 times before hanging up. I know little about how revolvers work but did notice that when trying to fire dbl action the cylinder stop will retract momentarily and then pop back up locking the cylinder.

Any ideas as to what it would take to fix it? I'll look around for a parts/assembly drawing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have a H&R model999 like new 100%finish 22lr sportman with a 6" barrel would like to know what year it was built and the value of it on the market today. Serial number Ax 106448 and what does the AX before the serial number mean I would like to sell it. Thanks drpepper139@adelphia.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a pre-1940 model Sportsman. The barrel latch works loose after firing a couple of shots and has to be pushed back down into place. I replaced the barrel latch spring, but the problem is still there. I thought replacing the barrel latch might be the next step. The spring follower is just a steel ball, so I doubt that would be worn too much. Has anybody seen a problem like this where replacing the spring didn't fix the problem?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe the replacement spring was weak too. How does the surface on the latch look?
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/HarringtonRichardson-33274/Revolvers-36449/999-38120.htm

The only top break I ever liked was the Schofield. Once you get a second part and if the problem is still there you might consider a small depression for the ball to sit in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I even tried packing a small dab of copper gauze as a shim in the hole the spring goes into. It made the latch a lot harder to get on, but the latch still wouldn't stay latched when firing the gun. The latch isn't new, but I really don't know how much wear there is without comparing it to a new one. I'll get one from Numrich. I hope the one they have fits my gun. They have the K series latch and the AL series latch. There isn't much to the latching system. I just have to figure out what is weak or worn.