In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

C&R Eligible

TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Just a quick question. Is a Yugo SKS 59/66 eligible under a C&R?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have sold a Mosin Nagant M44 as a parts gun.
    It does not have the stock, but still has the barrel, receiver, bolt,
    trigger, barrel bands and the bayonet.
    Can this be shipped to a C&R?
    He also has an FFL friend I can ship it to.
    Just wanting to know for my information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Mauser 98 in its original configuration.
    Can it be shipped by me to a C&R License Holder or would I have
    to ship it to an FFL License Holder?

Since my father-in-law past away I have been keeping his auctions running
    and I want to make sure everything is legal and above board.
    He was an FFL dealer for 45 years.
    So your response is appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A firearm without a serial number manufactured both before and after the 50 year threshold and not on the C&R eligible list, e.g. 1955-1975. C&R eligible???
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    As far as I know the only state where that rifle must be shipped to an FFL dealer rather than a C&R holder is New Jersey.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark.
    A gentleman in Utah is interested in it.
    Just plug for it[:D]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=317261804

Loaded with pictures.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    As far as I know the only state where that rifle must be shipped to an FFL dealer rather than a C&R holder is New Jersey.

NY City requires an FFL dealer, too. The rest of NY State is OK.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said by the good folks up there- yes, with the exception of two areas. A C&R is an FFL- an 03 FFL, where a dealer has an 01 FFL. The 03 FFL covers guns that are 50 yrs old, OR are on the list published by ATF. Guns should be in original configuration and complete (a barreled action alone is not a C&R)
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since a C&R license cannot be verified through FFL EZ-Check, a prudent seller should ask the C&R licensee to also provide a photocopy of his drivers license. (When I make photocopies of my C&R, I just put my DL on the copier & get that at the same time.)

Neal

EDIT: The C&R license may or may not be a "Federal Firearms License", depending upon what law/regulation you are reading. At one time, the same FFL form was used for dealers, manufacturers, & collectors, with only the "type" different. Several years ago, C&R licensees started to receive a unique "collectors" license, which is considered a form of FFL, but not exactly. Sometimes "licensee" means to include collectors, sometimes not; it will continue to be confusing. Since 1991, house & senate budget subcommittees have attached riders prohibiting ATF from making regulations & publications clearer.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Since a C&R license cannot be verified through FFL EZ-Check, a prudent seller should ask the C&R licensee to also provide a photocopy of his drivers license. (When I make photocopies of my C&R, I just put my DL on the copier & get that at the same time.)

Neal

You can also call the ATF Licensing Center toll-free @ 1-866-662-2750 to verify a C&R license.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    A C&R is an FFL- an 03 FFL, where a dealer has an 01 FFL. The 03 FFL covers guns that are 50 yrs old, OR are on the list published by ATF.

THANK YOU, 11b6r, for helping educate that a C&R is, indeed, a "Federal Firearms License." So many times, it seems, sellers say something like "FFL required" but fail to clarify whether they consider the C&R to be one, even on a 50+ gun. Please keep spreading the word! Acceptance of the C&R for appropriate firearms helps sellers and buyers alike.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nmeyers- not to split legal hairs, but I have held an 03 C&R FFL since 1976. I am looking at mine now. It says " Enclosed you will find your Federal Firearms License." It is issued by the ATF Federal Firearms Licensing Center in Martinsburg WV.

I am pretty sure that makes it a FFL.

Now, I will agree that there are restrictions and limitations on what this license permits me to do. I cannot "engage in the business" of buying and selling, I cannot MAIL a handgun, and it only applies to certain firearms.

However, I do not know any ANY FFL that does not have restrictions and limitations. An 01 Dealer cannot pawn firearms, nor sell machine guns (without modifications to their license)

I collect older Mossberg and Remington 22s. I want to bid on a Mossberg 151K- made only in 1950-51. It is, without arguement a C&R firearm due to age. The seller does not know what an 03 C&R is, and wants me to incur a transfer fee ($25-$100, depending on where you live) by having it shipped to a local dealer. The amount I am willing to bid just dropped by an equal amount.

I have 3 local gun shops that have a copy of my license on file. A purchase of a C&R firearm from them involves a receipt marked "C&R FFL on file" and me paying them. 1 minute flat.

I must maintain a bound book- same as an 01. I am subject to audit- same as an 01. Went thru a background check- same as an 01. Dealers that do not accept an 03 for c&r firearms do nothing but narrow their field of customers.

And yes, my license can be verified by a phone call to the licensing center.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense meant, but if you do wind up scoring $700 or more for the Mauser? You will come out smelling like a rose, considering it's condition. It is a uncommon desirable pre W W II Mauser though, no question.

Only other similar one that I was able to find was in Ball's Mauser book. It was a short side rail sniper with the same "H" marking on the stock. Hopefully yours doesn't wind up in the hands of some wise guy, with crooked intentions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I actually do have them minimum bid already on it.
    But I have had emails from others with C&R License.
    That's why I asked. The auction doesn't close until Monday so I may get more for it.
    As listed in the auction I have stated how beat up the stock is.
    With all the pictures you see what you are getting.
    Yes I hope it goes to a good person. I would not want to see it get messed with.