In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rare or not?

southiasouthia Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a Ruger 77 in 7x64 nib. My son wants to break it out and use it. Is it something we should use or leave in the box?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IN MY Opinion guns are made to shoot. I don't want to sound like a gun snob. But Ruger model 77 were made in the 10's of thousands.maybe 100 years from now they will be collector items NIB but ????? NOT NOW
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a European cartridge that Remington knocked off their 280 from. Never even knew that Ruger made one. If it's factory original and NIB, I definitely wouldn't be shooting it. It would be best if you researched it more and found out how many Ruger made and when.

If it had a low production run, it might turn out to be Ruger's version of the Model 70 Winchester made in 7.65 X 53.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    where would I research the production of this rifle?
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not rare in my opinion. quick check on the net, and i found quite a few for sale. as low as 450.00 for used like new, to new in the box for 1300.00. i am pretty sure ruger made quite a few. obviously, they arent going to make just a handful and then quit. that would be a business loss for sure. take it out and shoot it. its not like you have a gun thats worth thousands or will be worth thousands.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave it in the box. Pick up a new Savage or Marlin 30-06 for shooting purposes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, believe we will keep it in the box and shoot something else.