In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus 85 Trigger Pull ????

partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
A friend I know tore tendons and other damage to her shooting hand a year or so ago. She carries the Taurus 85 hammerless for protection, but now has tremendous amount of difficulty pulling the double action trigger. I think changing the trigger spring could solve this problem.
Would a lighter spring solve this? I am no gunsmith, but fairly knowledgable about handguns, so is a trigger spring change on the Taurus something I could easily do? Thanks to all for your help!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry model 60 S&W that is slicked up some. In order to have reliable ignition you can't take much out of the hammer spring. The trigger return could be trimmed a lot. My sister with hand damage has a hard time with double action trigger pull. Might be time to consider an autoloader if springs and stoning doesn't provide enought change.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Taurus-33525/Revolvers-42264/SmallFrame-38366/85-42015.htm?results=All

You might concider some physical therpy to improve strength. I had a multi rubber band gripper unit that was very helpfull for my hand damage. The small angles and short parts do not lend themselves to mechanical advantage in j frames.

Added:

I'd change both and keep the factory as spares. Be sure and test to make sure it functions/fires correctly especially if its cold. Not hard to change. I'm sure there are utube vids for j frames.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie; I especially appreciate the website with parts breakdown. I let her try to rack the slide on my P3AT to see if she could use an auto loader. She couldn't rack it, so I doubt she could rack any slide. If money weren't an object, I would suggest a good DAA. Thanks for your help!! Doug
  • Options
    azpowerwagonazpowerwagon Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Wolff reduced power spring kit and change both the trigger rebound spring and the hammer spring. That will help the 85 out tremendously. Have a paper clip handy for changing the rebound spring [:)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    I let her try to rack the slide on my P3AT to see if she could use an auto loader. She couldn't rack it, so I doubt she could rack any slide.

Well in fact, the slide on the P3AT is one of the HARDEST slides out there to rack. I'm an adult male, not small and with no hand damage or grip issues, and I find that one a bit hard to rack under normal circumstances.

The issues there are a small grasping area to pull back on, not much "bite" to help with your grip (ie shallow serrations) and especially the stiff short double-capture recoil spring.

The point is, don't assume that someone who can't charge that one will have problems with "any" auto. I think a more conventional small auto will probably be a lot easier to charge, if not necessarily to carry.

Also, for individuals who lack the hand strength to charge a conventional auto, you could go with one of those "tip up" designs. The Beretta model 86, in particular, is a .380 with a tip up barrel making it relatively easy to charge.

It also happens to be the gun used by Carrie Anne Moss in her famous role in the "Matrix" movie, so you can make a good case that it has "chick factor":

carrie-anne-moss-MatrixCropped.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the spring instructions, especially the paper clip. Do you HAVE to change the Hammer spring as well as the trigger spring? Is changing both springs a fairly easy task?

Thanks for the idea of the Berretta 86. The tip up would solve her problem, but I don't know if she can afford the Berretta.

Thanks again!!!!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you can change one spring at a time, the Taurus is no longer a rebounding hammer like S&W, so the trigger spring does less work.

But you must have quick trigger return. If a lighter spring lets the trigger stop or even hesitate in the return forward, you may not use it.

Likewise the mainspring/hammer spring must be tested for reliable ignition. I check my spring changes with reloads on tough CCI primers. If it will fire them, it will fire about any name brand factory load.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!![:)]