In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1894 Colt Army 38 made in 1900

Toned1Toned1 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I put a deposit down on a 1894 Colt Army 38. Serial 138136 which they say was made in 1900. They had it for sale for $399 it had some holster wear on the end of the barrel but had most of the blueing still on the gun. Is this a good deal or should i let it go?

It has wood grips with a few minor chips it feels a little lose when i put it out and spin it. I know this is not all the info you need but any help would be great. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how does it compare to this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/wheeling-gun-library-colt-army-model-1894-38-colt-1.shtml

added I looked and nothing current on auction side and was then knocked off line, storm perhaps.

My thought is there are nicer and better shooters around for less money. As a collectable old guns can do ok, but I wonder about some of the prices on stuff that isn't even safe to shoot.
  • Options
    Toned1Toned1 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a little more worn on the metal and grips. Mostly holster wear.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lot of variables to consider. Is it the U.S. military issue version, or the civilian model without military markings?

You understand the cartridge it's chambered for is the .38 Long Colt, not the hotter loaded .38 Special.

The mechanisms on the older Colt revolvers are finicky and difficult to fix. If it's out of time and doesn't lock up properly, getting a competent gunsmith to work on it with the correct replacement parts might prove difficult.

Unless you're collecting Colts and want this particular model, I would pass on it.

EDIT #1, This link that Charlie posted, to the one Cabelas has for sale. Doesn't look factory original to me. The gray finish looks to uniform. Generally when the blue finish starts to patina it will be a blotchy non uniform finish. This one from Cabelas looks like it's been Naval Jellyed or bead blasted, IMHO.

http://www.cabelas.com/wheeling-gun-library-colt-army-model-1894-38-colt-1.shtml
  • Options
    txfellertxfeller Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Run from that one. Those guns don't bring much money and they quit making bullets for that one decades ago.

All kidding aside, stay away from all of the pre war colts. A lot of the parts are extinct, and even if you can find the parts, no one wants to work on them.