In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cobray M11 pre or post ban

buckey1buckey1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I just received a Cobray M11 that I want to sell. There seems to be a real value difference in pre and post ban. How can I tell which it is? thanks

Comments

• Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Preban barrel is threaded, post ban the barrel is not threaded.

Yes.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early ones dating to the late 70's early 80's time frame fired from a open bolt, i.e. the firing pin was was a fixed projection on the face of the bolt.

These were to easy to d**k with, and convert to full auto. The feds made them change the bolt so it wasn't a open bolt mechanism, in the early 80's time frame.

You might do a search here on this forum. There have been a number of topics in the past discussing the various M 11/ Cobray configurations, made over the years by different companies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    5mmgunguy, you are talking about the end of the barrel being threaded, right?

quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Preban barrel is threaded, post ban the barrel is not threaded.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    is it a M11 9mm? they were never open bolt fixed fireing pin.unless a SMG.. only the M10 9mm/45 or M11 380 were open bolt fixed fire pin in semiauto, production of these stopped in late 1981 by the feds the cobray company started make in CB M10 9/45 and M12CB 380 they came out about that time with the new M119CB semiauto as a slimmer lighter versian of the cobray guns..they made M11-9 for full auto for civilian transfer till 1986..i have a complete collection of marieta GA cobray catologes on the heavy paper they used to send out with all the neato things they sold[:0](oh thoses were the days)[^]the CBM11-9 with its zytell mags can be real finicky to fire reliably they tend to like hotter ammo we used to get a new catologe with the coupon for the M119 for about 270.00 at the time 1980"s the cobray guns had threaded barrels up to the crime bill they had no threads again till after the crime bill sunsetted in 2004 there are lots of makers of the cobray guns what does your say as the maker..right now the master piece arms are the best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    is it a M11 9mm? they were never open bolt fixed fireing pin.unless a SMG.. only the M10 9mm/45 or M11 380 were open bolt fixed fire pin in semiauto, production of these stopped in late 1981 by the feds the cobray company started make in CB M10 9/45 and M12CB 380 they came out about that time with the new M119CB semiauto as a slimmer lighter versian of the cobray guns..they made M11-9 for full auto for civilian transfer till 1986..i have a complete collection of marieta GA cobray catologes on the heavy paper they used to send out with all the neato things they sold[:0](oh thoses were the days)[^]the CBM11-9 with its zytell mags can be real finicky to fire reliably they tend to like hotter ammo we used to get a new catologe with the coupon for the M119 for about 270.00 at the time 1980"s the cobray guns had threaded barrels up to the crime bill they had no threads again till after the crime bill sunsetted in 2004 there are lots of makers of the cobray guns what does your say as the maker..right now the master piece arms are the best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a 9. The barrel is threaded and it appears the mfg is S.W.D. Inc in Atlanta, Ga. Does that give you any more information that could help with it's value?

quote:Originally posted by fordsix
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    SWD was formed by the owners of RPB when i closed in late 81 early 82 ..SWD was around thru the mid to late 80's it is not worth any more or less than current production mac types look on auction side[;)]it takes the crappy zytel mags most current ones use surplus sten mags the M119 is notorious for problems in feeding