In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 70 DOM needed

pdaypday Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a model 70, super grade 270, ser # G18180. Can someone tell me when it was made and if it would be a CRF era rifle? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Blue Book lists it as being a USRAC build, dating to 1991. I don't know what the acronym CRF, represents?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CRF=Controlled round feed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pday
    CRF=Controlled round feed

Load the magazine, push the bolt forward. As the cartridge is forced forward and up, if it's rim raises between the extractor and front of bolt. It's controlled feed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better yet, Does the bolt have a great big extractor on the side of it? Then it's a CRF. If it has a full circle rim on the face then it's a PRF. If it has a half rim around the upper half of the bolt face and an open bottom then it is a CPRF, Controlled/Push Round Feed.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Blue Book (as usual) is wrong concerning the DOM. The USRACo did not reintroduce the CRF feature until 1994.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It has a big extractor on the side so CRF. I will call Winchester tomorrow and get them to tell me when built. I am assuming that they will know....that's a little scary too. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks all, P
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pday
    It has a big extractor on the side so CRF. I will call Winchester tomorrow and get them to tell me when built. I am assuming that they will know....that's a little scary too. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks all, P

U.S. Repeating Arms Co., the outfit who made your rifle, went out of business during the 2005/6 time frame. They had been making/selling rifles using the Winchester licensed name since the early 80's.

The U.S. based company now making rifles under the licensed Winchester name is a completely different and separate entity from U.S. Repeating Arms Co. They might not be able to help you, with the DOM of your rifle?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The USRACo was wholly owned by FN (Fabrique National) when they were shutdown in March of 2006. The new facility in Columbia, SC is also owned by FN... They are essentially the same entity, and they have all of the original USRACo records.