In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dropped a gun- sort of. Opinions?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
So I was out shooting my Savage BVSS model 12 in .223 a few days ago, topped with a Nikon BDC Buckmaster scope. Normally this gun will put 5 shots touching at 100 yards, and Saturday was no exception.

Then, horror of horrors... the gun was resting on the bench, and my bulky winter coat just snagged the edge of the butt, dragging it off said bench.

Kudos to my reflexes, my left arm shot out and caught the wrist of the gun while it was in mid air falling; however, it's a heavy gun and it already had a lot of momentum. I was able to save it from hitting the concrete outright, but the muzzle did continue down and struck pretty hard at about 8 o clock. Didn't mess up the crown, in fact didn't even really scratch the SS barrel. I did notice however that the barrel rose quite a bit out of the free floated stock during the impact, but snapped right back.

PANIC set in; I only had 5 rounds of ammo left. Round one- about 3 inches high from where I had been shooting. Round 2: elevation was back to normal, hit about 3 inches right though. Round 3: hit about 1/2" left of round 2. Round 4 hit touching round 2, and round 5 hit touching round 3. So essentially we have a right triangle, with one hit high, then two low and two more right of that. I do not know, however, if it really was throwing shots that badly or if I was just shaky with adrenaline.

I'm not surprised that the zero changed what with the good whack; I checked all action screws and scope mounts and rings; all were still tight. I'm thinking that the scope just got jarred out of alignment, I can't imagine that impact- especially since I DID catch it and slow some momentum- was enough to bend the barrel or badly impact the bedding, but who knows?

Granted it's all opinion, but what do you think? I'm going to take it out again next time and bring a spare scope with me, try it as it is and with the spare if need be. That will tell all. If it's the scope, it didn't take a direct hit and does have a lifetime warranty; if the gun.... eep.

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I think the barrel's fine. You might want to loosen the action mounting screws, wiggle the action-barrel assy. around so it finds it's "bed" again, and re-tighten the screws. Then re-zero scope, and let 'er rip!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for loosen and reset the action. I think the fear of damage factor got to you. Sounds like a nice shooting rifle with great hand loads.