In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Drilling tempered glass

bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Tempered glass can not be altered. The annealed glass is cut and fabricated (drilled, notched, an such) before it is tempered in a high degree oven. After tempering it is in that state forever. No drill or water jet at all will do it.

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have to agree with bigbill. Glass is "tempered" by being rapidly heated until the outer (but not inner) layer is just beginning to melt- and quickly chilled under a blast of cold air. This puts the sheet under tension. Any crack results in the tension breaking the entire sheet into small, non-jagged bits. Glass is cut, shaped, drilled, etc, PRIOR to being tempered. Any attempt to alter it usually results in a trashcan full of glass bits.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once tempered then that's it for modification. I know when we designed glass shelf store fixtures, we made sure all changes were made before ordering the temperd glass. Once we had the glass tempered that was it, use as it was or scrap it.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well you fellas know this is going to toss a kink into my plans. [:)]

Thanks for the info.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to have to disagree. I have seen holes drilled in tempered a few times, Mostly tempered glass aquariums. you stand a 50/50 chance of doing it without breakage. You need a Diamond Glass bit and you MUST keep it lubed while drilling and go very very slow,,Google it.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well now I am just going to have to give it a try and see what happens. If I take care to keep it out of my eyes, all that can happen is busting a peice of glass.

Not like I am scared to try things just because they should not be done. [:)]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    So can one anneal the glass, work on it, then re-harden it like you can steel?
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    So can one anneal the glass, work on it, then re-harden it like you can steel?

Still waiting for someone to do the "Star Trek: Voyage Home" make clear aluminum sheets.

As for the display case, just grind a corner off on a water wheel. Enough to pass a wire through.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go hi tech power it wirelessly. No holes required, and I still think a nanoplused laser would do it.