In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Civil War saber

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Was just on the auction side looking at civil was items. Got to wondering.

I have a calvery saber with proof marks that I bought in New Orleans several years ago. However, the shark skin covering on the handle has fallen apart. Anyone have any thoughts as to having it restored. There is a reputable company in California that does restorations on sword and sabers, but I'm uncertain if a restoration will deminish the value.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Civil War light calvery saber that I bought in a New Orleans antique shop back in the middle 70's. It has some interesting proof and inport marks that are interesting, but no proven history to the orginal ownership.

However, over the years the shark skin grip has begun to fall apart and the underlaying cloth cord is coming apart.

Don't really want to lessen the value by a restoration job, but then again would like to restore this saber.

Your thoughts anyone??? And if possible please refer me to someone who might restore if I choose to go that option.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends a lot on the quality of the restoration. Many collectors won't contenance any type of restoration, i.e. if it isn't factory original they don't want anything to do with it. Restoration will be a negative, value wise to these folks.

On the other hand I am personally OK with restoration as long as it's equivalent to the original work, and no attempt is made to pass it off as original.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    You're probably referring to Tom Nardi http://www.cds1.net/~nardi/swords/index.htm

You might send him some pics and get his opinion. If it's a standard M1840 or M1860 cavalry saber, it might be ok to restore it. However,those have leather grips and sharkskin are generally Naval issue swords. If it's a rare maker, you might be best to leave it alone. Post pics or more detail and markings if you can.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking Japanese saber since they made them in the Western style with ray skin.

Personally I'd figure what it's worth as is before dumping a Grand in resto for a $10 melon slicer.

Will it deminish the value? Yes. Most "collectors" want original in excellent condition and not re-done to excellent. If you're looking to make it pretty to pass it down that's cool too. Be funny when one of your heirs try and sell it and find out it's been restoed and gets a low ball offer.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Instead of restoration I would recommend spending some time researching the history of the sword including maker. Who knows, you might stumble into a real history maker. One thing is for sure, restoration will do nothing to increase value but rather more than likely ruin it....a few watches of the Keno brothers on Antiques Roadshow should reverse that notion of restoration. Patina = money[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gary, the sabre was made by Alex Coppel and I believe exported through Leige, Belgium (I think, have the paper work in a file in my safe). It was found in a southern state with a second sabre. Don't know if both sides imported from him or not. I paid 170.00 in an antique shop back in 1978.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cornflk1
    Gary, the sabre was made by Alex Coppel and I believe exported through Leige, Belgium (I think, have the paper work in a file in my safe). It was found in a southern state with a second sabre. Don't know if both sides imported from him or not. I paid 170.00 in an antique shop back in 1978.

Alex Coppel was a German sword maker, mostly for the WWI and WWII German military. He didn't start making swords until around 1885 which were mainly ceremonial at that time. Does it have Solingen markings on the ricasso? Can you post some pics?