In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1906 Winchester Front Sight

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a .410 sight on the 06 I have and I have the rear sight screwed all the way up and I cannot get into three inch bull of a 12 inch target at 25 feet. I know the sight has to be shorter but I would like to get the right sight ordered the first time. .375 is offered in the same style sight that I have now and was wondering if .35 lower would give me the full use of the rear sight.

Emmett

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Measure the distance between the front and rear sight."more then likely about 16 inches or more. Now measure measure how far the target is from muzzle in feet and convert to inches Example 100 feet = 1200 inches . now divide the the 1200 inches by the 16 inches this equals 75
    so for every .010 inch you lower the front sight the point of impact will change .010 X 75 or .750 inches or every .10inch equal 7.5 inches
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are happy with how your gun is sighted in then you want to get a sight that has the same height as the one presently on your gun. If you want to change heights, you will have to do a little calculation to figure out what you need. To determine how much a change in front sight height will alter your point of impact, do the following calculation: divide the distance to the target in inches (at your desired sight-in distance) by your sight radius in inches. Take the resulting factor and multiply it by the change in sight height. This gives you change in impact. For example, if your gun has a 6-inch sight radius and you are sighting in at 25 yards, your factor would be 150 (900/6). If you change your sight height 0.010, your point of impact will change 1.5 inches (0.010 x 150). Armed with these measurements, you can now choose your sight from those available with a dovetail cut that matches your slide.

from http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0511.htm
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys the .375 sight change will give me about 7 more inches of adjustment up from the point I am at on the target now and do the job.

Thanks

Emmett