In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Selling a hand gun on GunBroker

n8mrcn8mrc Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Ruger LC9 I want to sell but I am not an FFL. If i put my gun on GB can I ship it to an FFL, I know it has to be UPS or Fedex or do I have to take it to an FFL so they can ship it for me?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A nonlicensee (you) can transfer any gun to an FFL in any state (as long as that FFL is willing to do so). Some FFL's will only accept a gun from another FFL, so you want to add to your listing the following:

"Be sure that your FFL is willing to accept delivery from a nonlicensee. I will enclose a photocopy of my drivers license with the gun."

If you ship a handgun by UPS or FedEx, you can only ship Next Day Air, which will probably cost $70-90. So, for some folks, it may be best to pay a local FFL to ship USPS for you; you have to do the math.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe in some of the commie states, like California. Handguns have to be shipped by a 01 licensee to a 01 licensee. Due to the CA Department of Justice regs.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct answer has been given.

In most states you can legally ship directly to an FFL out of state, BUT. . . .not every FFL is willing to accept a gun from a non-licensee. You'd have to ask them first.

Also, because shipping guns is so expensive (FFLs can do it cheaper), depending on what kind of relationship you have with your local FFL, you may still be ahead of the game paying your local FFL to ship it for you. Even if there were zero cost savings to me, I'd still have my local FFL do it, in part to send them business, and in part so that in case of "disaster" at least an FFL intermediary is involved.

As small addition to above, in most (but certainly not all) States, face-to-face transfer of handguns between adults WITHIN THE SAME STATE is perfectly legal.

Anyway, if you're willing to do this type of transaction, and are willing to find a local buyer willing to buy this way, you may not have to go through an FFL at all. Depending on what the local gun market is in your area, there could be potentially enough cost savings there for a local buyer that it may be worth the effort.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I believe in some of the commie states, like California. Handguns have to be shipped by a 01 licensee to a 01 licensee. Due to the CA Department of Justice regs.

A non ffl can ship to a ffl in CA without registering with the CA DOJ. Only FFL's have to register. The bigger problem is finding an FFL in CA that accepts guns from non ffl's. Handguns also need to be on the approved list too. Also finding a ffl that doesn't charge a ridiculous rate for out of state transfers can be tricky. Turners a chain in southern CA wanted to charge my friend in Pasadena a $100 fee to accept a 1911 from me in in WA.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

That is true for NY also.