In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stock Refinishing Questions #2

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
Ok, thanks for the sandpaper suggestions. Now, I was discussing this project with my Dad who was a master cabinet maker - now retired many years. He suggested that before I do any sanding to actually chemically "strip" the existing finish. He then said to assemble the entire rifle, including centering and leveling the barrel. He THEN stated you look for places ALONG THE EDGES where to sand. AND to sand in a clean square edge to match the depth of the top of the metal. The big mistake people make is that the pre-sand the furniture and end up taking too much off and/or rounding the edges. The problem is that I'm having to make a decision to purchase stripper for oil stains or varnish or other types of finishes? He said the other option was to take the wood to a commercial furniture stripper. I've already got more into these 2 guns than I'll ever get out of them so what's a few $$$ more - LOL?!? Any thoughts, ideas recommendations for furniture strippers would be appreciated! Thanks - MIke

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Formby's Furniture Stripper. I've used it many times on old dirty stocks.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Mike,
    I've used Zip Strip for years, I scrub it when I put it on with a plastic bristle brush. I wash it off in my utility sink, using the brush to get all the stripper off. Repeat as needed, especially around checkering. The water will aid in raising dents, to be lightly sanded. Use a damp tea towel and an iron to steam out other dents and scratches.
    I try to do a minimum of sanding, but, if you have to, do as you dad told you, along edges. I've done many stocks without sanding at all.
    W.D.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've learned that Formby's or any furniture finish remover doesn't remove the patina in the wood.

Use guantlet rubber gloves and 0000 steel wool to remove the old finish, and than mineral spirits to clean up any residue with a rag.

If you can't find Formby's, use Zinsser Fast-Strip Furniture Stripper which will do the same thing only cheaper. You can assess the condition of the stock after stripping and determine if you want to forge ahead with sanding to get to perfection.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at SEVERAL you tube videos. (use eye and hand protection with the stripping products)

I use strippers and do very little sanding.

Let the stock dry thoroughly before starting to apply the finish.

The finished product will not be any better than the pre prep process which is the messy part, but once you have done a couple yourself you will no longer really dread doing another on your own stuff.

I like the Birchwood Caseys gunstock refinishing kit at about $15 using tru-oil mainly because if I get a scratch or ding I can easily do a repair blend without having to do a major refinish.
    I can also control the finish as a high gloss and if too glossy take it down to a satin finish. I apply the tru oil using 1000 to 1200 wet dry sandpaper instead of finger and this eliminates having to use steel wool between coats. (the sandpaper when used lightly and wetted with tru-oil does the leveling. Read the instructions that comes with the kit 2 or 3 times before starting the application.

If the stock is oil soaked after doing the stripping of the old finish, use hot water, etc, to float out the old crud oil. (see you tube about such)

Note the parts about NOT sanding the checkering and do not apply finish to the checkering until final coat so as to leave the checkering sharp.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Man - THANKS for all of the simply GREAT suggestions! They truly are much appreciated! Best Regards - Mike
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's best to avoid using steel wool on bare wood.
    Shards of the wool can break off and imbed in the pores of the wood.
    Wood always retains a minute amount of moisture which can corrode the steel which will leave discolored spots in the wood under the finish. Once this flyspecking develops you have no choice but to sand off an excess amount of wood to remove them.
  • Options
    Texas BearTexas Bear Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Mike, Send me your email address and I will send you 8 pages of instructions for refinishing the wood on old Winchester and other rifles. I learned from John Kay, a past master of redoing these old guns. Although I now make and sell John's original linseed stock oil formula, which is probably as close to what was originally done as possibly, I am not here to sell you any thing. The instructions cover several options, and do's and don'ts regarding sanding and stripping. Some suggestions above I agree with and some I do not. Beware of sandpaper except as allowed in the instructions. Most finishes sold are not linseed oil based, or are a mix of varnish with a little linseed oil. After doing about 200 of these old rifles, I have had the opportunity to learn a lot and understand what John was teaching me when I started. I freely pass this on. Don, TexasBear10@aim.com
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your gun has a plastic butt plate, take it off before using any stripper. I got some stripper on a butt plate on a mod 70 I was doing and it reacted to the plastic, leaving bluish dissolved blotches on it. Green 3m pads are handy for removing stripper and denatured alcohol to wash off the stripper and neutralize it. Buy a box of latex gloves. Don't bother trying to reuse them. A stiff plastic brush about the size of a big toothbrush will help with the stripper in the checkering. A new toothbrush will help apply your finish on the checkering. Have a rig for drying already set up so when it's wet you aren't hunting for someplace to put your stock to dry. Oh, I almost forgot the stripper also ate into the white spacers on the butt plate and fore end, but not the black fore end itself. I used that Tru-oil and I liked it a lot. That idea of using 1200 paper to put it on sounds like a good one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WOW! These are all such great and constructive suggestions!

quote:Originally posted by hermiem
    Ok, thanks for the sandpaper suggestions. Now, I was discussing this project with my Dad who was a master cabinet maker - now retired many years. He suggested that before I do any sanding to actually chemically "strip" the existing finish. He then said to assemble the entire rifle, including centering and leveling the barrel. He THEN stated you look for places ALONG THE EDGES where to sand. AND to sand in a clean square edge to match the depth of the top of the metal. The big mistake people make is that the pre-sand the furniture and end up taking too much off and/or rounding the edges. The problem is that I'm having to make a decision to purchase stripper for oil stains or varnish or other types of finishes? He said the other option was to take the wood to a commercial furniture stripper. I've already got more into these 2 guns than I'll ever get out of them so what's a few $$$ more - LOL?!? Any thoughts, ideas recommendations for furniture strippers would be appreciated! Thanks - MIke