In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 75 sporter

pdaypday Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at an almost mint Winchester 75 Sporter, serial # 790XX. According to the DOM search on the WACA site, the rifle was made in 1951. Now here is where it gets a little thick, and I get a little lost from age and lack of knowledge on these rifles. The rifle has a grooved receiver, a blank in the rear sight dovetail, and a Lyman peep. The seller says he is sure it is all factory. I have been told by experts that this could be true except the Lyman peep does not excactly match a Lyman from that vintage era, and I was told Winchester did not start grooving receivers until around mid 1954. Now wait....the barrel has a date code of "56" on the bottom of it. Here are my questions:

1) Is it possible that the gun frame was serialized/stamped in 1951 and not made until 1956 and grooved at that time?
2) Is it possible that the gun could have been grooved in 1951?
3) How accurate is the DOM info for these 75's from the WACA site? Do they get their info from the polishing rm records or ??
4) How many 75 Sporters were built in 1956

A friend of mine has a 75 sporter, date stamped under the barrel "56", with ser # 87XXX that is grooved and all correct. If you do the math, and subtract the serial # of the one I am looking at from my friends serial #, it looks like Winchester built at least 16,000 model 75 sporters in 1956???? That can't be can it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Are you worried that somebody grooved the receiver of an originally nongrooved rifle? Doubtful. Is it reblued? Is the proofmark on the receiver flaked?

I (think) it would have came with a Lyman 57.
  • Options
    pdaypday Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what I think here. The Lyman receiver sight is a 57, but has the wrong adjustment knobs for that era, so more doubt. I mean it might be all correct, but think I will pass because of the unanswered questions and doubts. The seller is asking top dollar for the gun and it is my belief that for top dollar, there should be no doubts and nothing should be questionable. Just my opinion.