In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

handgun shipping question

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
I know, I know another handgun shipping question, however this has a little spin on it. I realize that FFL holders are the only ones who are able to ship a handgun thru the USPS, but what if an FFL holder is shipping a gun to another FFL holder and asks a representative to just drop it off for them? So in other words if an FFL sells a gun to someone, packs it up, addresses it from their business to another FFL could they legally have someone else just drop the gun off at the Post Office? The gun would have only gone from FFL to FFL w/o being registered to any one else. Thoughts?

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The dealer (and only a dealer or manufacturer can MAIL a handgun) must complete a Form 1508 at the Post Office prior to mailing a handgun. Handing a package to someone NOT covered under their FFL, and asking them to "drop it off" at the PO (in my opinion) will not fly.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So an employee of the company could do it?quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    The dealer (and only a dealer or manufacturer can MAIL a handgun) must complete a Form 1508 at the Post Office prior to mailing a handgun. Handing a package to someone NOT covered under their FFL, and asking them to "drop it off" at the PO (in my opinion) will not fly.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The details of what employees of a dealer may or may not do are not listed in ATF P5300.4, but I would expect a dealer who delegated shipping (& forging his signature) to an employee would first get an approval letter from ATF.

But, your scenario left out the step where the dealer (or his employee) completes a bound book entry.

Neal
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it would be an entry in their A&D book. quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    The details of what employees of a dealer may or may not do are not listed in ATF P5300.4, but I would expect a dealer who delegated shipping (& forging his signature) to an employee would first get an approval letter from ATF.

But, your scenario left out the step where the dealer (or his employee) completes a bound book entry.

Neal