In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 shoulder stock mainspring housing???

nightboomernightboomer Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering in what type of mainspring are use to mount an shoulder stock on 1911"s the flat or hump type. I know someone with milling mechine also does an know where I could find drafting prints on them

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would have to be the flat Main Spring Housing for a solid stock like this one:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=420576243
    But, you would have to match the specific stock, so it's not likely there is a "standard" size for the slot. They were never issued by the US military.

I'm no expert on the National Firearms Act, but I think that you need to be careful to avoid making an illegal Short Barreled Rifle. Certain guns (Lugers, Mausers) are specifically permitted, but others......you need to be careful. If you are unable to cite the relevant sections of ATF P5300.4, it would be smart to get written approval from BATFE before starting this project.

Neal

EDIT: A kit, but not complete:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=405818300
    I don't think it is currently being manufactured, but you can search the GB auction site.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    They sell the kit with a stock mainspring housing and Barrel.

HOWEVER BE very careful
    The kit is legal if you have ALL THREE pieces installed .
    the barrel must be over 16 inches If you have the makings for the kit and have a short barrel installed you will go to jail if you have the mainspring housing installed and it will fit the stock you MAY go to jail even if stock is not installed. . I have a number of pistols with legal stocks because they came that way from factory and are on the BATF
    List . I would not have a made up kit and a normal 1911government model
    in my house under ANY curcumstance
  • nightboomernightboomer Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote perry shooter (They sell the kit with a stock mainspring housing and Barrel.) OK Who sells the kit ??? I just need the mainspring and an 16" barrel
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The kits that PS is referring to, were on the market years ago. They came and went pretty quickly. Because of the extra weight and length of the 16+" barrel. Functioning was questionable.

I believe that it was SARCO or one of those other surplus outfits from back east that was selling them.

Nowadays you have to be really careful. With all the peakers and spyers looking over your shoulder. I wouldn't be buying a mainspring housing cut for a shoulder stock, unless you bought a 16" barrel at the same time. You don't want to get on the JBT's list for a 0600 door kicking.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to clarify legality here, you can legally mount a stock on a 1911 if it has a 16" or greater barrel on it, and you can also then legally take off the barrel and stock and convert back to a standard 1911 pistol if you like. The BATFE now takes the position (in writing) that this is OK. See here:

quote:http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3)
    and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to
    a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle
    with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the
    parts are later unassembled in a configuration
    not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).

"Catch", obviously, is that at no point can you have the gun in an illegal configuration. Also, if you were caught with JUST a stock and handgun but NO barrel, then the BATFE could try to charge you with "constructive possession" of an illegal short-barreled rifle.

16" bbl can be purchased here:
    http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911barrel16roto.aspx

Don't take this as an endorsement; I've never tried this and have no comment on quality or function.

To answer the original question about what type of mainspring housing is OK with a shoulder stock, that depends on the stock in question. Most of the ones I've seen go with a straight mainspring housing, but I've seen ones that work with an arched one. There are also individual designs that could work with either.

If you're having your own stock custom made, you should be able to do it any way you like.