In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.32 short colt ????

JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
Which firearms were chambered for this cartridge????
Thanx,
JIM.............

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing modern. Old 19th and early 20th Century, top breaks and Saturday night specials. Our G.I.'s in the 40's, also brought back a number of European handguns chambered for what was called over there 320. This was same same as the .32 Short Colt.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Rufe said- the diameter of the case is less than the .32 S&W. The .320 European Revolver is the same cartridge as the .32 Short Colt. I have a couple of little Belgian copies of the Royal Irish Constabulary revolver that are in that(hard to find) caliber.
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which firearms... ?

Frank Barnes mentions Colts "New Line model revolvers." (Also in .32 Long Colt).

Also quoted, "Colt is about the only company that used this cartridge in the United States. It was more popular in Europe... ."

45er
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No top breaks in US. Solid frames, either loaded through side gate, or maybe early Colt swing-out cylinder.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Marlin model 1891 one model came with two firing pins one rim fire one center fire The extra firing pin fit under the butt plate in a small hole. in the butt stock. This gun would shoot the 32 Short Colt ,
    the 32 Long colt the 32short rimfire and 32 long rimfire. I loved mine but sold it when ammo got too hard to find. [:(]
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 32 Iver Johnson that I believe is chambered for the Colt. I have shot S&W thru it with no noticible problems but have been told the Colt short is the proper round, Tom
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    I have a 32 Iver Johnson that I believe is chambered for the Colt. I have shot S&W thru it with no noticible problems but have been told the Colt short is the proper round, Tom

You were misinformed, as .32 caliber 5-shot Iver Johnson solid-frame and top-break revolvers were chambered for .32 S&W cartridge and a few 6-shot .32s for .32 S&W Long.

The .32 S&W is slightly larger diameter than the .32 Short Colt and won't chamber in .32 Short Colt caliber guns.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hrf
    quote:Originally posted by tccox

You were misinformed, as .32 caliber 5-shot Iver Johnson solid-frame and top-break revolvers were chambered for .32 S&W cartridge and a few 6-shot .32s for .32 S&W Long.

The .32 S&W is slightly larger diameter than the .32 Short Colt and won't chamber in .32 Short Colt caliber guns.

HI HRF: That is great news since I found a box of 32 S&W shorts at the Powder Horn gunshop on San Antonio today. Had checked at three gunshops and only one had one box. My lucky day. Tom