In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Winchester Hi Wall serial number

PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
I was looking at an old Winchester Hi Wall single shot, made into a custom rifle many years ago (60+), very much refinished and reblued, new wood, etc., in caliber .22 Hornet. Only marking I can find is on lower tang, "Pat. Oct. 7th, 79"; no serial number is visible. Were these all serial numbered? Where were the serial numbers, if so? Perhaps underneath wood somewhere?

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All serial numbered. It should be on the bottom tang, just in front of the tang screw.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The serial number is on the same metal as the patent date, as shown in the below photograph. It may have been polished off in the refinishing, but a close examination may reveal at least part of it.
    DSC_0241_zps1c06aad0.jpg
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It took a magnifying glass and outdoors lighting, but a faint, nearly polished away, serial number appears to be 44410, aft of patent date, ahead of tang screw, as had been said. I was told that this rifle had been rescued from a rusted and pitted action, and built up with new Douglas barrel and stock and forearm. Thank you for responses!
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:serial number appears to be 44410
    Made in late 1890.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Alas, the lower tang on my Hi Wall was broken off at some time
    and replaced with what looks like brazed on bronze. I guess that
    was the only serial numbered area?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ..Alas, the lower tang on my Hi Wall was broken off at some time
    and replaced with what looks like brazed on bronze. I guess that
    was the only serial numbered area?

Yes it was. Winchester did not mark the serial number in any other location.