In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1A/M14 questions

35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
Looking to build an M1A in the near future, and I was curious to see what I might be looking at, as far as prices for a receiver, bolt, and barrel. I don't mind serviceable used parts, and I'm not particular as to what brand of receiver (Norinco, Polytech, etc). I could look around, but prices seem to be all over the map.

What would I be looking at, price-wise, for just those three parts, used; the barrel, bolt, and receiver?
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to pick nits, but you are looking to build a M14-clone (M1A is the trademark name for Springfield Armory Inc's M14-clone). It sounds like you are not committed to a specific brand yet.

Unfortunately, you have become interested in this project about 20 years too late. USGI parts are the best, but the supply has dried up & many parts advertised today are cast commercial parts. I think LRB still sells receivers (& they are excellent), but SA INC doesn't, & the Chicoms never did.

This is a nice rifle, probably close to what you have in mind:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=414290038
    Good receiver, USGI parts, it was a bargain for a lucky buyer.

Let me suggest that you start with the cheapest part: a book. Specifically, "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck. Even with a US-made receiver & USGI parts, building an M14-clone is a job best done by a service trained armorer; this is not a simple project, & making a mistake could be fatal to the shooter.

Neal

EDIT: Well, since you insist
    receivers sell in the $500-1,000 range, barrels sell in the $200-500 range, & bolts sell in the $200-350 range. Regardless of price, you may get a major part that requires gunsmithing, or is not usable; and, you won't be able to tell that until you assemble them. Parts can range from USGI NOS to well used or out of spec. NO ONE makes receivers that meet USGI MIL SPEC; aside from the differences in a semi-auto receiver, dimensionally they may not be suitable for use.

M1Ab.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Not to pick nits, but you are looking to build a M14-clone (M1A is the trademark name for Springfield Armory Inc's M14-clone). It sounds like you are not committed to a specific brand yet.

Unfortunately, you have become interested in this project about 20 years too late. USGI parts are the best, but the supply has dried up & many parts advertised today are cast commercial parts. I think LRB still sells receivers (& they are excellent), but SA INC doesn't, & the Chicoms never did.

This is a nice rifle, probably close to what you have in mind:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=414290038
    Good receiver, USGI parts, it was a bargain for a lucky buyer.

Let me suggest that you start with the cheapest part: a book. Specifically, "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck. Even with a US-made receiver & USGI parts, building an M14-clone is a job best done by a service trained armorer; this is not a simple project, & making a mistake could be fatal to the shooter.

Neal

I'm not technically a service-trained armorer (or an armorer at all, honestly), but I did build this from a box of parts, including mounting the barrel to the receiver, and it functioned perfectly.[;)]

m19m.jpg

m15hj.jpg

What I'm looking for is a price range for parts like I mentioned in my OP. The prices seem to vary widely. I don't want to go out and buy a bolt or barrel for $400+ each (just guessing at that price), if there's a chance at either or both at a much more reasonable price. Again, I'd be more than happy with decent used parts.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i wanted a good m1a and just keep looking at the used market and came up with a pre 80,s mia used in the box for 1000.00. as a matter of fact it looks new with just a few marks on the G.I. wood with G.i. guts and a civian sa reciever. according to T.S. uncle albert,one of the i don,t get it crowd.
  • Options
    49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Totally agree with eastbank, good advice on buying a used rifle, they were pretty much all a hodgepodge of mixmaster parts and still are, problem with the garand is you probably did the same as myself and bought a complete kit minus receiver for $200.00 which Gunparts used to sell in mid to late 90's. No such kit longer exists for a M1A build, price the parts and do the math, no brainer to shop and hits gunshows and GB for a good used gun. I've got 3 and would buy another if the age and price was right. I would STRONGLY recommend against buying new, but hey, that's just me and it's personal!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 49 harley
    Totally agree with eastbank, good advice on buying a used rifle, they were pretty much all a hodgepodge of mixmaster parts and still are, problem with the garand is you probably did the same as myself and bought a complete kit minus receiver for $200.00 which Gunparts used to sell in mid to late 90's. No such kit longer exists for a M1A build, price the parts and do the math, no brainer to shop and hits gunshows and GB for a good used gun. I've got 3 and would buy another if the age and price was right. I would STRONGLY recommend against buying new, but hey, that's just me and it's personal!!

Nope, started out with a bare receiver and a stock, then, over time, bought the parts when I found some that matched the serial number date of the receiver. I see M14 parts kits for sale on occasion, most being minus the barrel, for around $1500. Way too expensive, IMO.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best place to research this:
    {Elsewhere}

I doubt you will save any money building your own vs buying off the shelf.

Should be a fun project though.

Reminds me, I bought a couple GI extractors for my M1A but never got around to changing the SAI one out.

Just to give you an idea of $$$$ you can look forward to:
    http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receiversactions.html

A receiver sold by itself goes for $995.
    A barreled action with head spaced bolt (no additional parts) - $1366.

Fulton Armory Receivers are a little more affordable:
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/m14-receivers.aspx

Barreled actions a lil less:
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14-Barreled-Actions.aspx

Another link for you:
    http://www.treelinem14.com/Barrel-group_c34.htm

I bought my extractors from Tree Line last year.

Lastly get a couple stocks from:
    http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/

Here's my M1A Scout. I replaced the Muzzle Brake with a Springfield commercial flash hider (minus bayo lug). Stock is from Fred's, and I have a complete GI trigger group in there.

10023623575_1b058f3edc.jpg

EDIT:

I've stripped my M1A down to the barreled action using the videos by tonyben3
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9vbzHvKPvslKC2hCGjG0A

Tony Ben is also a member of that forum that Nononsense removed from this post. If I want to build a rifle I find the forum that specializes in that rifle. This aint it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, drobs. That Fulton barreled action is tempting. Very tempting. I'm actually a bit surprised at the price.