In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uberti Cattleman front sight loose

longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
The wife has a Uberti SAA that I bought in slightly used codition a few years ago. 2 years ago the front sight blade came off. Called Uberti about the problem. After several conversations about the importer on it, it was determined that the warrentee was expired. Took it to a local gunsmith & he soldered the blade on without ruining the blueing.
Target shooting yesterday the front blade came off again. Any Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use needle files to clean the soft solder off the sight tenon and sight cut in barrel. Mix up some JB Weld following the directions on the tubes. Let it sit a couple of days to make sure it's sets up. Hope for the best.

If JB Weld doesn't work. You're going to have to have it silver soldered by a pro. Likely the heat of the torch, will have some effect on the blueing.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    The gunsmith may have used low-temp silver solder, which does not affect bluing. Hi-temp silver solder is a lot stronger, but the temperature required will necessitate re-bluing the barrel.

I had a Colt 3rd Gen 44-40 throw its front sight, but two-part hi-temp epoxy proved adequate for a repair - although I was careful to never even mildly stress the sight against anything, which is a half-azzed way to own a gun. The answer was removal of the barrel, with proper repair and re-bluing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was thinking of using high strength epoxy that we use in the shop here for bonding automotive body panels on cars & trucks. Didn't know if anyone had tried to bond one on before.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Low temp silver solder with the proper flux and prep would work.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Same thing happened with mine. They must have the second string working the soldering machine at the factory. JB weld worked for me. Then I colored in the thin line of JB with a black Sharpie. Looks and works better than new.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Same thing happened with mine. They must have the second string working the soldering machine at the factory. JB weld worked for me. Then I colored in the thin line of JB with a black Sharpie. Looks and works better than new.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got finnished bonding the blade back on. Will let it set for a couple of days. Hope it works. The solder job I got from the gunsmith was poor at best. Just a small area wa holding. Mainly a glob of solder underneath the blade.