In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

colt 45 id

kgt1223kgt1223 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
Afternoon. Some time ago you all were able to help us with some of my Fathers collection. Was a great financial help to Mom.
she has now located a brown colt box with a colt 45. in it.
sent pix and serial to Jaz at colt. Dates it at apprx 1877.
it is black and has scroll work all over it as well as gold figures covering most of the pistol.lc5e.jpg
5bp0.jpg
6y65.jpg

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need quality photos. For accurate identification and valuation.

Instructions for posting photos, atthis link.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Condition and knowledge of quality of engraving and gold work is key
    Pictures are a must on even a WAG

EDIT Thanks for the pictures. Well that leaves me with three words. OVER THE TOP In all fairness. That pistol needs to be in one of the Auction companies like Rock Island or others let them sell it for you Pictures are fine but most people would want a hands on inspection on an item like that. Do you have any WRITTEN RECORDS on who engraved the pistol ? be aware Some people will LOVE it and others will HATE it . If you want to sell it on GUN BROKER I would contact seller LOCUST FORK she Knows how to sell Here with pictures that are first rate and a reputation that will allow her to get more than you can get on your own
  • kgt1223kgt1223 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx rufe-snow
    edited November -1
    Understood Perry thank you
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is that Jaz asked if you would like to order a "Colt factory letter", but you declined to pay the $300. That may be worth the investment, because, unless that's the way it left the factory at the time is was made, I don't think that it will bring a high price.

You really need better photos than a cell phone can take. Take it out of the box, borrow a camera that can take close-ups, & take at least 15-20 photos. Be sure that they clearly show all markings & all serial numbers.

Neal
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even with the bad pictures, I'm fairly certain the engraving is not factory.
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by perry shooter
    Condition and knowledge of quality of engraving and gold work is

Thnx for the info. Who would suggest as far as an auction outfit for this particular piece. We live in the Tampa bay area so am sure that it would sell better elsewhere.
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by perry shooter
    Condition and knowledge of quality of engraving and gold work is

Thnx for the info. Who would suggest as far as an auction outfit for this particular piece. We live in the Tampa bay area so am sure that it would sell better elsewhere.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Email sent Cheers Karl
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Email sent Cheers Karl

Did you try ro send me an email Karl? Never recieved one.

?