In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Long ctge. circa late 1800's

grayingghostgrayingghost Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have two old top break revolvers, one an H&R that according to its features goes to about 1892 and a US Revolver piece. The H&R looks almost unfired, tight and solid. They both have long cylinders for which I found mention of an H&R long .32 ctge. Can anyone give me some info or load data for this ctge. .32 S&W shorts will shoot but because the cyl. are so long the bullet just bounces off a 2x4. .32 S&W Long fit perfectly but I'm leery of shooting them in these old guns. I've loaded S&W Long cases with 7 grs. of Black Powder and a cast lead 71 gr. bullet and it seems equal to a modern .32 Long fired in a much newer H&R (632). This old H&R is supprisingly accurate and kind'a neat to shoot. I'd really like to feed it what its diet originally was.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't push your luck. They were made for BP pressures. Stick with the 7 grain load.

Those old top breaks, were sold as inexpensive personal protection handguns. Years before product liability, became a factor for the firearms industry. They weren't built with the legal fudge factor modern guns have. They were meant to be carried a lot and shot seldom, with the low pressure BP cartridges of the day.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the H&R's were the best of the cheapie's. Even at that I wouldn't push it or you will have parts of a pistol. You are not the first to observe the 32's bounching off a 2x4.