In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Where is all the .22 ammo.?

brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
Sorry, Experts, this may have been covered already and if so ,I missed the comments. In the last few days I've visited a Wal-Mart and called Bass Pro Shops and neither had ANY .22 ammo. Two of the biggest retailers in the U.S. = ZERO .22 ammo. How can this be? Sincerely Jim

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few days ago I test drove a Browning Buckmark with a 525 box of Federal HP's. Not sure of the age of the ammo but had a lot of misfires, zero jams. I think all the bulk packed ammo is crappy with poor quality control.

added I was 1000 miles from home and my supply of CCI's MM. I have tried almost all the bulked packed stuff over the years and found them all lacking.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    How long did you say that coma was?[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense meant. But the last time I was able to buy .22 ammo. Over the counter at Walmart, was in October 2012.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    A few days ago I test drove a Browning Buckmark with a 525 box of Federal HP's. Not sure of the age of the ammo but had a lot of misfires, zero jams. I think all the bulk packed ammo is crappy with poor quality control.

You might consider other bulk type ammo Charlie. If you can even get your hands on some. CCI Blazers and Winchester 555's are better than the Federals. The 555's with there large soft hollow points, are great on bunnies, also.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DOC has it and will not share.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim- you don't get out much. There has been an extreme shortage of .22 ammo nationwide for 2 years now.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its available, your just going to pay 2 to 3 times what you were paying 3 years ago. You obviously haven't shopped for .22's in a while.
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My local Gander Mountain in NY has 22 ammo available on Friday and Saturday mornings. Limit is one brick @ $24.99 The Walmart nearby never has any
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brummiejim
    Sorry, Experts, this may have been covered already and if so ,I missed the comments. In the last few days I've visited a Wal-Mart and called Bass Pro Shops and neither had ANY .22 ammo. Two of the biggest retailers in the U.S. = ZERO .22 ammo. How can this be? Sincerely Jim

As already mentioned, .22LR ammo has been in short supply since the Obama re-election. Its been WELL-covered in any number of other posts, if you want to do the search. Here's some discussion of what's going on and why (my comments on this in the second link, below):

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=618686

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=618747

Anyway, if you want .22LR ammo, you can buy it online (including on the auction site here), just expect to pay quite a bit more for it than you may have a few years ago.

As to when this situation will "normalize", its already gotten somewhat better, but its probably going to be a while before supply and demand catch up to one another and you can just walk into any store and buy .22 off the shelves.