In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Victoria, British Columbia

brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
To my/our good neighbors to the North:
Just wondering what the laws are regarding long gun purchases? I know hand guns are prohibited. I have an old contact in Victoria who may have on old Winchester for sale. We'll be visiting there next month. What would I have to go through to buy it and ship it state side? Thanks Jim

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't. Purchase by an alien is your first obstacle. Importing it into the US is the other.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's possible, but neither easy nor inexpensive.

You would have to find a US importer, & your friend would have to find a Canadian exporter. After getting shipped through customs, it would have to go to a bonded warehouse & get stamped with the importers name, city, & state. Then, it would have to be shipped to your local dealer.

Figure 1 year & $600-800 in tax, shipping, duty, & handling fees.

Or, you could smuggle it home in the trunk of your car. If you get caught, the worse that could happen is 5 years in federal prison. I hate prison food.

Neal
  • Options
    brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Neal. Sounds like they really don't want any gun shipped out of Canada to the States, and they've made it next to impossible to do so. Too bad, there's some great stuff up there. Oh well, on to the next idea... Jim