In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

fully engraved Colt Ltw commander pics

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
This gun recently showed up at my local pawn shop.
I really don't know anything about these type of guns.
Value?
They have a $4800 price on it.
Will take $3000.
I am looking for knowledgeable opinions.
Thank you.
8yfdvs.jpg
1zdsya0.jpg
2bb286.jpg
2wd7b7m.jpg
fo3hpc.jpg
2zg80h2.jpg
rscv4m.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very flashy, if you like that sort of thing.
    I have not seen the style, but strongly doubt that W.C. stands for Winston Churchill or anybody working at Colt.
    You have to give him credit, though, it looks like he engraved everything except the barrel, recoil spring plug, and the S&W rear sight.

Not my $3000, though.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Not colt engraved [:(]. Grips are Not real Mother of pearl Jay Scott with black plastic backer[:(].Lots of BLING If you like that kind of thing . The Best thing about the Pistol is the pictures[^] The quality of the pictures them self. The shot where you can see down the barrel and the firing pin hole in the breach face of the slide is a 10 on a scale of one to ten.when it comes to lighting and lack of reflection
    EDIT The Barrel as the original post stated is a Kart a well know Match barrel Maker I have a few in my match pistols I dont see any 45MM markings as this last post states [?][?][?][?]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that the engraver had a lot of skill & experience. But, my guess is that he engraved bank note plates, not guns.

He should have engraved a border around the markings, or, better yet, masked them. The engraving shouldn't even be near COLT or the SN, but it actually goes into those fields. Similarly, I wouldn't engrave near surface transitions, but he actually engraved OVER some of the transitions.

It appears that the alloy frame has a yellowish cast. They would have matched better if he had used an all-steel gun, & replated them with the same method.

I would trust a Government Model with a replacement barrel, trigger, & other parts, if they were installed by Perry Shooter. But, who knows the skill level of the last person to work on this one? I'd have to pay an expert to check it for safety, & that wouldn't be cheap.

I really wouldn't want this gun, at any price.

Neal
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure the engraving cost a pretty penny, too bad it doesnt measure up to pretty well done.
    Over done,no delineation , just 110 percent coverage, more does not always equal better, especially in this case.
    I wouldn't spend that kind of money on it, not even half , better yet , nothing at all.
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aesthetics: one man's Rembrant is another's Warhol? Beyond market comparsion, which would be hard to find for this Colt, how to put value on? So it's whatever floats your particular boat, how it pleases your eyes, not anyone else's.

Some insightful responce already given to each the Ltw Commander and engraving itself. My opinion, and that's all it is, is this is a firearm for someone with too much "fun" money to blow, whom just like the looks of it, to be a conversation piece gun to hang on display case.

45er
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    I don't like anything about it.
    Was curious what others thought of it.
    Looked at it as an educational tool.

EDIT:
    the barrel is marked cart.
    the grips,trigger,rear sight,and barrel are not colt.
    DOM 1969.
    silly looking gun.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Chamber marking states 45mm?
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a fully customized gun. Notice that it has S&W "K" frame sights?Apparently the owner thought enough of the gun to have it completely engraved and nickel plated, in addition to all the other custom modifications.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This colt commander has given me an idea...
    My father left me a colt 1911.
    I am now considering sending it to colt to be engraved.

The day after dad past away my sister ask me to investigate why one of his pillows seemed a little heavy.
    He had sown 3 sides of 2 pillows together and within resided a loaded colt 1911.
    It is nickel plated without the original grips.
    SER# C220xxx.
    Books I have seen stop at C215xxx then pick back up at C221xxx.
    A phone call to colt dates it at 1942.

It is a beautiful gun.
    But an expert has told me the finish is a redo and it was probably originally blued.
    I plan to get a letter from colt.
    Then have colt do a 25-50% engraving on it and re-finish it.
    It will be pricey I am sure.
    But having considerable sentimental value and not being a factory original gun anyway,it seems to be a good candidate for the work if I can afford to have it done.
    I have a max of about $2000 to invest in it.???
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Very interesting. I am sorry to take up your tenth post and by the GunBroker Rules This will caused it to be locked . However you can open a new post /topic Engraved Commander Part II . The civilian guns With C prefix in Colt inventories at the out break of WW II saw many strange things happen to them. I have 2 that are 31 serial numbers apart Made years before 1941. But shipped as part of foreign contract sales in 1942. mine are C199555 and C199518 . I would make sure that the pistol is NOT original finish Via Colt letter and if it is non factory refinish than decide on if you want to engrave the gun . Be aware it would be a great thing to remember you dad, but factory engraved later date and Originally factory engraved when first shipped are two different Values by many $$$
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The chart at Coolgunsite.com shows SN C220001 as the start of postwar production in 1946. But Proofhouse.com says that was at 221001, although it agrees on the end in 1942 at 215018.

I would pay for a Colt factory letter before doing anything to it.

I would have it restored to original appearance without engraving. A 1942 commercial is rare. Or even an early post war, they used a lot of leftover military parts, although with better finish, and they are an unusual variation.
    But it is your gun and you may make it to your liking.

Turnbull gets most of the ink on restoration, but Ron's Gun Shop and Steve Moeller do nice work, too. Too bad Bill Adair is gone.