In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Single Action Army 1st gen

AMR ArmsAMR Arms Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
I know nothing about Colt SAA's and I've come across one that is not matching and would like to know a rough estimate on the value. The two serial numbers near the base pin match (688xx). The serial number on the bottom of the grip is different (672xx). The loading gate serial number is also different. The grips are not original and it appears to have a modern barrel (marked COLT'S MFG, CO HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.). Mechanically the gun is in safe working condition. So, any ideas on the approximate value?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Pictures would be a big plus Barrel markings style would let us know what vintage the barrel is. Be aware the loading gate does not match it should match a number on the frame only seen with the trigger guard removed from the frame, This pistol may be a repaired pistol that used the best parts from a number of guns. Military arsenals did many and no records available. However Colt did do at least two batches and they do have the records the records will have the serial # of the frame. We need pictures. Close up good lighting
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Your Colt, both the frame and the grip frame (although unmatched), was manufactured in 1881 but you made no mention of caliber, barrel length or type of finish. What are the markings on the left side of the frame? Is there any "US" stamping on it? You should also see some individual letters (inspector's marks) on various parts. Your Colt should have a "screw-in" base pin in the front of the frame rather than the later traverse spring-loaded pin.

As Perry Shooter stated, the number on the loading gate is an assembly number and not a serial number. A matching number will be stamped on the frame underneath the trigger guard. That was to insure the parts stayed together during assembly.

Closeup pics including all markings are a must.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is what I have right now for pics...
    642_zpsb10a4b8c.jpg
    644_zps1160744c.jpg
    645_zpsb1f0c652.jpg
    643_zpsb53db764.jpg
    image_zpsc8fb2c42.jpg
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The barrel is a 2nd generation.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has been reblued and buffed. We need close up of frame left side above the rigger guard. where the PAT date stamps are. we are looking for the two letters U.S.if they are there it is a plus.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK that looks to be a civilian model. ALBEIT has lost a lot of collector value with some mis-match of parts and the fact It has been reblued . I would still get a letter from Colt. Most guns during that time period vent to military and Yours may have very interesting History.EDITIS IT WORTH 1K that is a hard call mis matched with replaced barrel and stag grips Yes But reblued when the frame was originally case color. Makes it a HORSE Of Another color.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    OK that looks to be a civilian model. ALBEIT has lost a lot of collector value with some mis-match of parts and the fact It has been reblued . I would still get a letter from Colt. Most guns during that time period vent to military and Yours may have very interesting History.

With no significant history are we looking at the $1k mark?
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AMR Arms
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    OK that looks to be a civilian model. ALBEIT has lost a lot of collector value with some mis-match of parts and the fact It has been reblued . I would still get a letter from Colt. Most guns during that time period vent to military and Yours may have very interesting History.

With no significant history are we looking at the $1k mark?

Even with all of the negatives as Perry Shooter correctly pointed out, you could probably get $1K for it on the auction side. The fact that it's pre-1899 and doesn't require an FFL makes it attractive for someone who just wants an antique Colt SAA and doesn't have the capital to buy a more expensive one.
  • Options
    migrapilotmigrapilot Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The grips appear to be very nice old stock grips. If the right side looks like the left, they'll likely go for $250 to $400 by themselves. I'd buy em' all day long at $200. Try me if you don't believe me!