In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Personal Bushnell warning

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in Ask the Experts
Two things. I bought a Bushnell 4500 new and the verticle adjustment bottomed out and the rifle still shot 4 inches low at 50 yards. Sent it in to factory. Weeks later it came back. Now the horizontal adjustment bottoms out with the rifle shootin 8 inches left. Sent it back and waiting.

Upon receipt of the scope back the first time included was an offer for a "30 to 40% discount on a new scope". I ordered a Bushnell 6500 for $656 which won't be available until mid August. Today I saw the same Bushnell 6500 for sale on Optics Planet for $699.

I have cancelled my order. Anyone else have these problems with Bushnell?

Comments

• godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have always had luck with bushnell stuff a range finder a couple 3200s elites and banners
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Personally" I wouldn't flame a manufacturer due to a scope "bottoming out" unless I'd tried at least two different mounting systems. I've seen people crank on the knobs until they broke the scope when the problem was the rings/bases.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems to me, that all reasonable priced optics. Come from low wage south east asian countries, nowadays. No matter what name they are sold under. The basic quality, from my experience leaves a lot to be desired.

Long as they are willing to exchange it. Maybe sooner or later you will get one that works to your satisfaction?
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had any problems with Bushnell but have had lots of problems with scope mounting systems. On a Mauser 98, I used Burris Signature rings with the inserts to get the scope centered enough to make use of the elevation adjustments. On a CZ550 416 Rigby, my friend JJ tried to mount a scope after two attempts (i.e., two new rifles back and forth with the importer). It turned out the barrels weren't concentric with the receiver. JJ mentioned he was leaving for Africa and the rifle problem was resolved almost immediately. Sometimes, it can be a scope quality control problem. I had a Leupold scope with the windage adjustment reversed.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only had the cheap Bushnell's and they were ok for the price. +1 for a proven scope to check for mount issues.
  • dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The scope I replaced on a Rem 541-T lined up just fine. When I got the scope back from the company, a quarter turn was all there was on the vertical adjustment. I checked to see how much total movement there was and there were four complete turns side to side. Not everybody that has problems is stupid...
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had similar poor service also. When they don't want to make repairs, they offer you the "discount" on an over-priced or full retail item. I will never buy Bushnel or tasco again.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "a quarter turn was all there was on the vertical adjustment. I checked to see how much total movement there was and there were four complete turns side to side. Not everybody that has problems"

That does not indicate there is a problem with the scope-just that the technician didn't center the crosshairs.
    The problem seems to be that something is so far out of alignment with your rifle or mounting system that the scope can't accommodate the required adjustment.
  • wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had great service from bushnell. Last time was when a 22 fell from a wall mounted rack because of an explosion from a house close to me. It completely bent the main tube when it impacted the floor. Had my wife write a letter and explain what had occured and cost to fix. Bushnell sent a new scope no charge and even upgraded to a better model.
  • rigbysbudrigbysbud Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beware of their 4x28 .22 varmint scopes. I had two of them and the only way to get the turret caps off is with vice grips. Don't know if they stripped them or overtorqued them.

I had two other different models and a pair of binoculars that worked great but the .22 varmint scopes were total garbage.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dannej,

I'm sorry I missed this run of responses to your questions. But I'm going to add some thoughts here at the end because I think that they are warranted.

quote:Upon receipt of the scope back the first time included was an offer for a "30 to 40% discount on a new scope". I ordered a Bushnell 6500 for $656 which won't be available until mid August. Today I saw the same Bushnell 6500 for sale on Optics Planet for $699. I have cancelled my order.

This is a difference between the MSRP and the 'street price'. Bushnell as the manufacturer offered you a discount based on the MSRP while you read an ad based on the already discounted 'street price'. I thought everyone understood this concept of advertising...

quote:Anyone else have these problems with Bushnell?

This is a whole house call for bashing a manufacturer because of one snafu. We get one of these every week at least. And if you really want to get all wound up, read the topics which complain about UPS and Fed-X! These are not questions for Ask the Experts. This is a General Discussion * session.

If you want help resolving your issue with the scope then we need a lot more information about the scope, the mount and the rings. Where did you start and where did you end up, by what process, with details. That way we can see if there is a flaw that can be overcome to resolve this problem.

quote:Not everybody that has problems is stupid...

We did not intend to mean stupid but rather uninformed or inexperienced, or that maybe you just missed something, that's all. The members who contribute to this forums are generally very experienced and knowledgeable about their answers and we get a TON of questions from folks who are just getting started with certain parts of shooting and need more guidance than others with greater depth of experience. We didn't get any indication that you were advanced so the effort was concentrated on the probable inexperience.

More information and a description of the mounting would help us help with this problem.

Best.