In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

C S SHATTUCK Shotgun

hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know anything about a Single shot, 12 gage, 30" barrel C S Shattuck shotgun from Hatfield Mass? On the grip plate it says Shattuck's Perfection. Has an "odd to me" break open lever on the left side of the receiver, like a brake pedal on a motorcycle...

Any info appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    You have what I consider a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun while that is not quite true.
    A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one made by any major gun maker and with some name other than the makers name on it. Shattuck's Perfection was a "Trade Brand Name" used on inexpensive shotguns made by the C. S. Shattuck Ams Company of Hatfield, MA (1878 to 1909), It was not uncommon to have a break open lever on the left side of the receiver. Not sure of just which model of Shattuck single barrel you have, they made two, an Old Model Side Snap made from 1880 to 1890 and a New Model Side Snap made from 1890 o 1909. The guns appear to be the same in the illustrations in my reference except the Old Model has a straight grip stock while the New Model has a pistol grip stock. The Old Model was made in 12 an 16 gauge with 30 or 32 inch Twist or steel barrels while the New Model Model was made in 12 gauge only with a 30 inch Twist or steel barrel. I have to correct your terminology. According to my reference , the gun was marked on the butt plate only, not the grip plate. The Old Model would not have had a grip plate anyway.
    Now for my standard warning on attempting to shoot the gun. Don't do it unless you have the gun checked out by a good competent gunsmith first. The gun was designed and made using the technology and metallurgy of the times and for the ammunition in use back then which was 2 1/2 inch shot shells loaded with black powder and maybe, just maybe very early low pressure smokeless powder and lead shot. It was not designed for higher pressure and longer shot shells 2 9/16 or 2 3/4 loaded with higher pressure smokeless powder and certainly not modern 3 inch or magnum shells loaded with high pressure power, steel shot or solid slugs. How much is the gun worth, every one wants to know. These guns sod new for $0 to $15 but that was back in 1880 when wages were $1.00 to $2.00 a day. The haven't appreciated much over the passing years. Current value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition (missing parts). If the gun is in prime condition (rare as these guns were used hard and received little care and maintenance) and appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon it might fetch as much as $75 at auction while a rusty and pitted metal, rotten or broken wood and missing parts piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a fir place poker might bring as little as $10 if it could be sold at all. But then there is sentimental value which can't be calculated.