In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Civil War Remington????

csaduckcsaduck Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have been offered a Remington revolver that is supposed to have been in the civil war, 1861-65 the serial number is in the 1168** range I can't remember the last two numbers of it. Is this the range for civil war government contract guns or is this indian war?
Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    percussion or cartridge? sounds like cartridge which would place it after the civil war.
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much info to go on here. If it is marked "New Model" and is 44 Cal. it would be in the range of government contracts but many were sold to civilians also.
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by csaduck
    I have been offered a Remington revolver that is supposed to have been in the civil war, 1861-65 the serial number is in the 1168** range I can't remember the last two numbers of it. Is this the range for civil war government contract guns or is this indian war?
    Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

We can do some basic math. By the serial number it's a New Model Army, which began production in 1863 at approximately serial number 15000. By March of 1865 the US Government had purchased about 110,000 of these NM Army revolvers. So we can guess that by March of '65 the serial number reached would have been at least 125,000. But now factor in those sold to the civilian market during the war and the number would be higher.

We can confirm this as Springfield Research Service lists three Remington Army Revolvers (133909, 134053, 134062) as being in the hands of troops in late 1864.

Johnny
  • Options
    csaduckcsaduck Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Johnny, thanks so much, your information was very helpful.